COLLEGE STATION - *10 P.M. Update*
One of the busiest streets in Bryan-College Station is back open Friday night after a natural gas leak shut it down for several hours.
A construction crew where the old Plaza Hotel was demolished hit a 4-inch natural gas line around 5:30 Friday afternoon.
That's where they're building a luxury apartment and retail development
The College Station Police and Fire Departments along with the Bryan Fire Department shut down Texas Avenue just north of University Drive.
They say Atmos Energy had a little bit of trouble clamping off the gas line because they first had to locate other utility lines before starting the dig for the repair.
First responders were initially cautious because of the flammability of natural gas.
"Risk of explosion and fire at this time is pretty minimal. The crews have done a really good job of excluding any ignition sources. We've had to shut down a few businesses, evacuate a few folks, and shutting down the roadway has helped tremendously," said Lt. Tim Hamff, with the College Station Fire Department.
"I just happened to see the police officers outside. The door was locked and a few people in the lobby. We were just not able to get out...so," said Joann Pugh, a guest at the Hampton Inn.
Atmos Energy has shut down the gas line and Texas Avenue in College Station is back open.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.