Forbes magazine recently named College Station one of the nation’s 25 Best Places to Retire in 2013.
Forbes cited College Station for its college-town cultural amenities, low cost of living, median home price, warm climate and low crime rate, along with the fact that Texas has no state income tax.
The magazine considered more than 400 cities of all sizes from each state, looking at factors ranging from living costs and taxes to crime, the availability of doctors and the opportunity to stay active with outdoor exercise and volunteer work.
Austin and San Antonio were the only other Texas cities to make the list, which includes cities from 16 states.
Forbes’ 25 Best Places to Retire
• Alexandria, La.
• Ames, Iowa
• Ashville, N.C.
• Athens, Ga.
• Austin, Texas
• Bangor, Maine
• Baton Rouge, La.
• Billings, Mont.
• Charlotte, N.C.
• Clearwater, Fla.
• College Station, Texas
• Columbia, Mo.
• Fargo, N.D.
• Gainesville, Fla.
• Huntsville, Ala.
• Jacksonville, Fla.
• Lexington, Ky.
• Little Rock, Ark.
• Medford, Ore.
• Mesa, Ariz.
• Orlando, Fla.
• Prescott, Ariz.
• San Antonio, Texas
• Tucson, Ariz.
• Winston-Salem, N.C.
The College Station-Bryan area has received national recognition in a variety of economic and social categories since 2010:
• No. 1 College Town in America (Livability.com)
• Finalist for America’s Friendliest Small Town (USA Today/Rand McNally)
• Top 10 U.S. Cities for Raising Families (Kiplinger’s)
• No. 4 Best-Performing Small Metro in U.S. (Milken Institute)
• No. 6 Small U.S. City for Business and Careers (Forbes)
• No. 4 U.S. City for Military Retirement (USAA)
• 5 U.S. Cities in Full Blown Economic Expansion (MSNBC)
• No. 7 Small U.S. City for Job Growth (Forbes)
• No. 21 Small U.S. City for Education (Forbes)
• 25 Best Places to Retire (Forbes)
• Top 25 U.S. Cities for Working Retirement (Forbes)
• Fifth lowest property tax rate in Texas
• Lowest foreclosure rate in the U.S. (Foreclosure-Response.org)
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.