Fire Victims in High Spirits Despite House Burning Down

By: Alex Villarreal Email
By: Alex Villarreal Email

We are learning more about a big two-story house fire that erupted Sunday afternoon in Bryan, but investigators are still unsure about what sparked it.

That fire engulfed the home on Sulphur Springs leaving six local college students with no roof over their head or much of anything else.

Sentimental items, like this journal, blackened and left almost unrecognizable by a fire that consumed the house at 209 Sulphur Springs from the inside out.

"I walked out of this house, that house, with this truck and the clothes that were on my body. Like, the clothes I'm wearing right now are not mine," said Keane Richardson, one of six college students who used to live at the rental house in Bryan.

That was before something sparked this massive blaze in a back bedroom Sunday afternoon.

Another roommate, Roy Reyes, said, "I pretty much lost, lost everything I had"

Fire investigators say the house, which was built in the 1930's, was destroyed within minutes.

This car seems to have survived the flames. It's parked in the driveway, about 20 feet away from the house, but if you go around the other side, you can see the entire driver's side has melted away.

All that's left are remnants of mattresses, broken out windows and charred furniture.

Roy Reyes, said, "We have friends that are reaching out to us and allowing us to live in their houses and just helping us out with clothes and food and everything like that. It's just been a blessing for sure."

Roy, Keane and their other roommates are relying on their faith to keep them in high spirits.

"God uses tragedies like this to draw us closer to him," Keane Richardson said.

All six are members of a Christian ministry called Young Life.

Richardson said, "The Bible says; for I've suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish that I may gain Christ and be found in Him."

Their ministry doesn't die with this house.

"Me and my roommates are all excited for what's coming next and being able to look back on this and it becoming part of our testimony," Richardson explained.

They're picking up what's left, salvaging what they can, and continue walking down the path they believe God has set for them.

Bryan fire investigators say houses built in the 1930's didn't typically have as many electric outlets as we're accustomed to today.
Many times they find way too many electrical cords plugged in at the same time.
So far, no official cause has been released.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, Trolling or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@kbtx.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus
KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143395716 - kbtx.com/a?a=143395716