Firefighters rushed to northeast Bryan after one of several transformers caught fire when damaging winds blew through a neighborhood on Pecan Ridge Drive, Wednesday morning. The 60 mph wind took out power lines and kept BTU crews busy.
In College Station, residents living in the 1000 block of Guadalupe Dr. were told to stay inside after a natural gas line blew. A tree fell on top of the gas line causing it to rupture.
"They told me that I would be okay. Just to stay inside until they got it fixed," said Doris Guthcher.
Firefighters secured the area, not far from A&M Consolidated High School. Students were said to be safe.
"Students are fine. After gas monitoring with special equipment we've determined that there is no danger in that area," said Dan McNeill, College Station Fire Department.
Workers with Atmos Energy arrived to fix the leak and replace a gas line. They Determined no one was in immediate danger. However, for residents like Gutcher it means staying inside without the use of appliances.
"The pilot lights are all out. I guess it's safe. It's not gassy in here anyway," said Gutcher.
12 residents lost power in College Station according to CSU. That is because most of their power lines are under ground. 3150 customers lost power in east Bryan.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.