BRYAN, Texas A Brazos County mother whose baby died at a local daycare in 2008 is weighing in on a sad story out of Waco, one that is very similar to her own.
Laura King's 3-month-old baby Nathan was given Benadryl and his death prompted state legislators to change the law.
It's a law that was in place when a Waco baby was given the same medicine at a daycare in March and then died.
Since 2011 it has been illegal for a daycare to administer drugs of any kind to children without parent permission.
Nate's Law was put on the books in memory of baby Nathan King of Bryan.
Clara Marguerite Felton only lived for just four short months.
The bright-eyed baby died in March at a home daycare in Waco. An autopsy report shows she died from a lethal overdose of benadryl.
"I have to tell you it was so sad watching that story especially seeing a picture of a little girl and thinking of what that family is going through right now," said Laura King of Kurten.
She has lived through the horrors of losing a child.
Her three-and-a-half-month-old son Nathan died of accidental suffocation at an in-home daycare in Bryan in 2008.
Just like Baby Clara, he'd been given a dose of Benadryl without his parents' knowledge.
In 2011 she and her family began pushing for Nate's Law with the help of State Representative Fred Brown.
The law makes it a misdemeanor for daycares to give medication to children without parent permission.
"It's really scary to think of that this happens more often than we think it does," she said.
Thursday morning in Waco 49-year-old Marian Fraser turned herself in to face charges for causing the death of Clara Felton.
The Felton's Family attorney Zollie Steakley says this shouldn't have happened.
"You first know on Benadryl is that it makes you sleepy and we've then learned of other cases across the nations where daycares have been caught giving Benadryl to children to get them on a schedule to make them nap and go to sleep," Steakley said.
"If you know somebody who is about to put their children in daycare or if you've had five children in daycare, talk to your provider, let them know that this is a law that your feel passionately about," said Laura King.
While Nate's family hopes to raise awareness, their biggest wish is that no other innocent children lose their life this way.
Waco Police say Clara Felton was given a dose of Benadryl to keep her asleep during naptime.
It's still not exactly known who gave Nathan King his dose.
The Waco daycare owner Marian Fraser posted bond Thursday afternoon.
Her attorney released a statement saying she had absolutely nothing to do with the death of the child.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.