New Dorms Illuminate Old Aggie Spirit

By: Natasha Sweatte Email
By: Natasha Sweatte Email

After Crocker, Moore and McInnis Halls were demolished; brand new dorms were built to house 600 students, all with the same Aggie spirit. Hullabaloo Hall now offers Texas A&M students luxury living on campus.

“We all try to watch out for each other," said Steven Kung, a fellow Aggie who also works on campus as the Hullabaloo Hall Resident Advisor. He said the experience of living and working in the new building still has the same vision as the original dorms. “Here we are all Aggies; you can't describe us from looking in; we're all family here at Texas A&M University."

Although the traditions live on, Kung said he does enjoy the added perks Hullabaloo Hall offers. "This is Starbucks," smiled Kung. Baristas offered free samples as students swarmed the popular on site café. There is also a 24 hour service desk, a massive library and study hall, a convenience store that also has scantrons and apparel for those last minute emergencies.

"Living on campus is a lot easier," said AJ Gerstenhaber, an Aggie Freshman majoring in Business. Hullabaloo Hall was one of Gerstenhaber’s top 3 choices and he said he felt like moving there was the best decision for him. AJ said the relationships alone have made the experience so special.

"We hold floor meetings,” said Gerstenhaber. “Last night, we had an SEC trivia with some queso; so it's a win win."

Casey Kram, Aggie class of 2015 said in addition to the superb education he’s received, he also agrees that the friendships are irreplaceable. Kram said his best friend was his roommate during his freshman year. He recommends the experience of living on campus to all incoming freshman. "The community that was fostered here at Texas A&M University, relationships made, memories built are something I think are far between any student gets to experience living off campus," said Kram.

President of Imaginative Technology, Mayphous Collins said his company is responsible for the technology behind the new dorms, but said it all was based on input from students. "I think the Residence Hall is so special because it is so heavy in technology," said Collins. The renovations include a theater room, a game room, a video wall and of course, dozens of large flat screens throughout the quarters.

While some are resistant to change, the University wanted to make it clear that Crocker, Moore and McInnis Halls still lived on. If you sit at the fireplace on the first floor, you will notice 3 different types of brick; each from all the various halls. Paintings which all depict the former residences have been hung, as well as a Quilt of T-shirts from the Northside Halls over the years.

Officials said since Hullabaloo Hall is in close proximity to the Northgate District, dorm windows have been sound proofed, so that students won't be disturbed by the potential outside noise from nearby bars.

Depending on which type of style you choose, rent runs around $3,500 a semester for a shared suite and a private suite runs roughly $4,750 a semester. Hullabaloo Hall is made up of 70% freshman and the remaining 30% are upperclassmen.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, Trolling or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@kbtx.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus
KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 224634841 - kbtx.com/a?a=224634841
Gray Television, Inc.