Several residents living at a local retirement community are returning back to their apartments after water damage forced them out.
Dozens of residents at Crestview Terrace on Villa Maria Road in Bryan were evacuated yesterday evening when a fire broke out.
“I heard some water dripping then of course I got soaking wet,” said Catherine Lamb, a Crestview Terrace resident.
Lamb was evacuated from her apartment. She lives directly below the unit where a fire started that sparked the emergency sprinkler system.
A day after the incident, the clean-up continues, and so has the chatter.
"We wanted to know what happened, and how come it happened,” said Dorothy Berry, another resident.
Investigators say the culprit is a grease fire.
Mathew Currie is the executive director at Crestview Terrace.
He says 8 residents had damage to their apartments from the emergency sprinkler system.
The residents were all displaced either at a local hotel or with family and friends.
Currie says they continue to clean up and make sure the apartments are safe. Soon all of the residents staying elsewhere will be able to come home.
"We will welcome them back with open arms,” said Currie.
No one was injured.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.