"He's dead and about two years old, said David Cloyd as held up an 18 inch Copperhead snake.
Cloyd was walking to his mailbox in College Station Thursday morning when he came across something he'd never seen in his yard.
"He was crawling right across the ground. We went and got a shovel and pounded on his head,” said Cloyd.
“We get snake calls often,” said Maria Fisher, an Animal Control Officer for the City of College Station.
Most of Fisher’s calls deal with non-venomous snakes, but she's seen quite a few Copperheads in her 3 years with the city.
"They have mostly been in landscaping on the edges of town,” said Fisher.
That's exactly where Cloyd found his. They blend in to their habitat, making them hard to see and he's worried there might be more around.
"Pretty much worried that kids might not know what's out here,” said Cloyd.
There are certainly more out here just based on the photos posted on KBTX's Facebook wall.
Cloyd says next time he gets the mail; he'll be dressed a little different.
"I'm going to be a lot more careful. Wear gloves, wear boots, wear longer pants,” said Cloyd.
Emergency Room Doctors with the College Station Medical Center have treated three snake bites since March. St. Joseph Regional Health Center has treated 37 in the same time period. Doctors recommend anyone bitten by a snake, remain calm and go to the emergency room immediately. Approximately 5 to 15 people die each year in the U.S. from snake bites.