Texas A&M’s Depression-era Architecture To Be Examined By Preservation Experts

By: Texas A&M Press Release
By: Texas A&M Press Release

A significant era of Texas A&M University’s architectural heritage will be discussed by two preservation experts in “A Collection of Extraordinary Talent & Artistry: The Depression-Era Buildings of Texas A&M,” on Wednesday (April 30) at 4 p.m. in Preston Geren Auditorium, located in building B of the Langford Architecture Center.

Nancy McCoy, a founding principal of Quimby McCoy Preservation Architecture, LLP, and Justin Curtsinger, a designer at the firm of Quimby McCoy, will focus on the quality and detailed ornamentation of university buildings constructed in the 1920s and ‘30s that incorporated the work of an army of artisans and craftsmen.

The buildings were designed and their construction was supervised by Frederick Giesecke, campus architect and department head who founded Texas A&M’s architecture program in 1905. Giesecke oversaw a depression-era building boom that included the Chemistry Building, Jack K. Williams Administration Building, Cushing Memorial Library and Scoates Hall.

“The buildings were designed to impress students and visitors with the institution’s wealth and power and the heritage of the state and the institution,” said Curtsinger.

Quimby McCoy is overseeing an $11.4 million renovation of the Jack K. Williams Building, which will house the university president’s office after its completion this fall, and a $10.6 million renovation of Scoates Hall, which will house classrooms and several of the College of Architecture’s research centers after its renovation is complete in November 2014.

The speakers will lead audience members on a tour of Scoates, which is a short walk from Langford B, after the lecture.

McCoy, who earned a bachelor of environmental design degree at Texas A&M in 1981, is an outstanding alumna of the College of Architecture and a member of the American Institute of Architects’ College of Fellows; Curtsinger earned a master of architecture degree in 2010 and a bachelor of environmental design degree in 2008.

The lecture is hosted by the College of Architecture and the Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering with funding by the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Cynthia Woods Mitchell Fund for Historic Interiors.

Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, Trolling or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@kbtx.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus
KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 257052081 - kbtx.com/a?a=257052081
Gray Television, Inc.