Firefighters say two College Station residents have been displaced from their homes after a fire severely damaged part of their duplex.
The College Station Fire Department says 25 firefighters responded to the call of a structure fire at a duplex on the 100 block of Louise Avenue off of Wellborn Road around 10:15 Saturday night.
"We came around and peaked around the house, and there was a lot of smoke...a lot of black smoke. Just like that, we ran over there to see if anyone was there," said Alex Car, a neighbor who ran over to help Saturday night.
Car was one of several neighbors who tried to put of the flames.
"I inhaled too much smoke actually, trying to connect the hose and put the fire out. So I had to be put on oxygen," said Jonathan Ramos, a neighbor.
Investigators say a resident was in the duplex that originally caught on fire. The resident told firefighters he was cleaning his kitchen with a chemical and accidentally dropped it, which ignited a fire.
Firefighters say damage spread to another unit.
No one was seriously injured.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.