Updated: 6:23 PM
- Nelson Mandela, a colossus of the 20th century, emerged from 27 years in prison to topple apartheid with iron discipline, hardheaded realism and a common touch that endeared him to whites who had been conditioned to regard him as their bitter enemy.
Posted: 11:30 AM
- Authorities say one child has died and four children and one adult were injured when a dump truck collided with a school bus carrying students to an elementary school in southwestern Idaho.
- The Washington Post is reporting that the National Security Agency tracks the locations of nearly 5 billion cellphones every day overseas, including those belonging to Americans abroad.
- HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Recordings of 911 calls from the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting show town dispatchers calmly responding to a janitor, a teacher and others and assuring them help is coming.
- A rail union official says a commuter train engineer caught himself nodding at the controls before the train started to veer off its tracks and derailed in New York City, killing four people.