Polo Horses Die Before Championship

By: The Associated Press Email
By: The Associated Press Email

Veterinarians say the sudden deaths of 21 polo horses at a Florida tournament yesterday may have been caused by a toxin in the feed, vitamins or supplements they were given.

The horses became sick before play started. Some collapsed and
died on the scene, while others died while being treated or

A vet from the Palm Beach Equine Clinic who treated one of the
sick horses says it appears the animals died of heart failure
caused by a toxic reaction. Another veterinarian who was at the
scene tells NBC's "Today Show" that it's clear "there's some
sort of a poison" involved. All of the horses that fell sick died.

It could take weeks to get the results of toxicology tests.

The horses were all part of a team owned by a Venezuelan

The president of the International Polo Club Palm Beach says
doctors have ruled out any sort of airborne infection, and adds
that none of the other teams were affected. He calls it
"heartbreaking to see that many horses to get sick all at once."

KBTX-TV Channel 3 4141 E. 29th Street Bryan, TX 77802 Phone: (979) 846-7777 Fax: (979) 846-1490 News Fax: (979) 846-1888
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 43322772 - kbtx.com/a?a=43322772
Gray Television, Inc.