WARSAW, Poland A state-of-the-art Warsaw subway train has caught fire, forcing the evacuation of some 200 people and sending eight to the hospital.
Firefighter spokesman Capt. Karol Kierzkowski said smoke and fire appeared Sunday under the body of the Inspiro train as it was pulling into the Politechnika station on Warsaw's sole subway line. Metro employees put out the fire.
Made by Germany-based Siemens, the Inspiro is considered to be among Europe's most modern subway trains. It was introduced in Warsaw with much fanfare last month.
A Subway spokesman said some 200 people were evacuated. Another eight were taken to the hospital after complaining of feeling sick from smoke.
All five of Warsaw's Inspiro trains were put out of service until the cause of the malfunction is found.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.