Joel Burt Thompkins, DOB 6-18-1962, is wanted for capital murder and failure to register as a sex offender. The murder warrant is out of Harris County, and the failure to register warrant is out of Dallas County. Authorities are offering up to a $5,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.
Thompkins is wanted in connection with the murder of a Houston woman at the Luxor Apartments on June 4, 2010. The woman, who knew Thompkins, was beaten to death with a fire extinguisher and then stabbed. Her vehicle was stolen, but has since been recovered.
Thompkins goes by the nickname “Ghost,” which is tattooed on the inside of his right arm. He also uses a large number of aliases. His criminal conviction history includes convictions for assault, robbery, burglary, possession of a controlled substance, possession of stolen property and tampering with evidence.
The public should not try to apprehend members of the Texas Top 10 Most Wanted, as these criminals are considered dangerous. Anyone with information on these offenders can provide anonymous tips in three different ways:
• Call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-252-TIPS (8477).
• Text the letters DPS—followed by your tip—to 274637 (CRIMES) from your cell phone.
• Submit a tip through the DPS website by selecting the sex offender you have information about, and under their picture is a link to submit a web tip.
Here is a list of the other Top 10 Fugitives:
• Robert Barrera Jr., DOB 9-26-82, last known address: Austin. Wanted for obstructing police, escape and burglary of a habitation.
• George Felix Deleon, DOB 11-16-69, last known address: El Paso. Wanted for parole violation. Deleon’s criminal history includes convictions for arson, aggravated assault and homicide.
• Gwen Komahcheet, DOB 9-17-50, last known address: Spring. Wanted for aggravated rape with a deadly weapon and failure to register as a sex offender.
• Gaspar E. Loya III, DOB 6-20-74, last known address: Weslaco. Wanted for indecency with a child, burglary, failure to register as a sex offender, escape and unlawful flight.
• Jose H. Morales, DOB 2-2-63, last known address: San Antonio. Wanted for failure to register as a sex offender.
• Rene Morales Munoz, DOB 12-19-67, last known address: Laredo. Wanted for homicide, probation violations and possession of cocaine.
• Leeroy Suarez, DOB 6-2-83, last known address: New Braunfels. Wanted for homicide, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and unlawful flight.
• Ngoc Van Tran, DOB 6-8-70, last known address: Amarillo. Wanted for murder, delivery of a controlled substance and burglary of a habitation.
• Richard Zuniga, DOB 10-24-79, last known address: San Elizario-El Paso County. Wanted for capital murder in El Paso in 2009 and has been a fugitive since then. His criminal history includes aggravated assault with a gun and drug possession. He is a known gang affiliate.
For more information on specific fugitives or the crimes they are accused of, please contact the local police department in the area where the fugitive was last seen.
You can find the current list—with photos—on the DPS website at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/wanted/. The list is updated as needed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.