News 3 has learned a woman has died during a fire at a College Station apartment complex.
College Station Fire Department Public Information Officer Bart Humphreys told News 3 crews were called to the Meridian Apartments around 10:50p.m. Saturday night.
Fire crews believe the flames started in the woman's kitchen. By the time they were able to get inside, the fire was out, but the apartment was filled with heavy smoke. Inside in the living room, they found 62-year-old Mary Holliday, unconscious. Crews said Holliday had a weak pulse at the time and was rushed out of the apartment and to a waiting ambulance. She was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Neighbors told a News 3 crew on the scene Saturday night that Holliday may have been in the unit for an extended period of time until smoke was noticed in the lower apartments.
Four neighbors, who are Texas A&M students living in the three surrounding apartments, were displaced due to the fire. Those students were assisted by volunteers from the College Station Fire Department and Texas A&M University.
The fire has been ruled accidental and the College Station Fire Marshal's Office determined the fire started due to cooking and put itself out before crews arrived.
An autopsy is expected to be conducted to determine the exact cause of death.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.