A toddler left inside a parked van as temperatures sweltered in North Texas is dead.
The Associated Press reports 16-month-old Markus Anthony Lewis was left for at least an hour on Sunday in the vehicle parked in front of his family's home in Savannah, a community near Denton. The National Weather Service said outside temperatures exceeded 100 degrees.
Denton County Sheriff's Sgt. Roger Griggs says the baby was unconscious when deputies and paramedics arrived. Authorities say earlier that day the boy had been at a water park with his parents, siblings and a family friend.
The report indicates each parent drove a separate vehicle to the water park and apparently thought the other took the child inside after returning home.
The child was taken to a Dallas hospital and later died.
The Founder of Kids and Cars Janette E. Fennell told News Three this is the 22nd U.S. vehicular hyperthermia death of infants and children this year. Hyperthermia is referred to as heat stroke or sunstroke.
Fennel is quoted: “This is at least the 59th child who has died in Texas in a hot car.”
In 2007 there were at least 35 such fatalities in the U.S., which followed 42 and 30 child deaths in 2006 and 2005 respectively.
Kids And Cars is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing injuries and death that occur when children are left unattended in or around motor vehicles.
A link is included where you can find additional information about ways to keep children safe in and around vehicles.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.