BIG SANDY, Texas (AP) - Two high school students bitten by a
venomous snake in science class are recovering at an East Texas
School officials in Big Sandy today say the students were bitten
yesterday by a cottonmouth water moccasin their teacher had
misidentified as non-venomous.
They were taken to a hospital yesterday when their hands began
Big Sandy Superintendent Scott Beene says the students are OK
but remain hospitalized for observation. The snake was given to a
Beene said the snake that turned out to be a cottonmouth had
been brought in earlier this year.
Beene said he didn't know if the district will allow snakes back
into any classes. He said the district plans to revisit its
policies about bringing animals on campus.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.