The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) will showcase its history as well as its current law enforcement capabilities on Sunday, Sept. 22, as part of Austin Museum Day, which features free exhibits and activities at participating Austin-area museums and cultural sites. The DPS Historical Museum and Research Center is sponsoring the event at DPS Headquarters (5805 N. Lamar Blvd., Building A, Austin, TX 78752) from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. on Sunday, which will be free and open to the public.
The DPS Historical Museum and Research Center event will highlight the department’s rich history, displaying a vintage patrol car and motorcycle, along with troopers in vintage uniforms. There will also be a patrol vehicle display. Additionally, equipment and resources currently being used by the department will be showcased, including:
• Crime Lab Crime Scene Vehicle, which is regularly deployed to crime scenes to assist in the investigation of crimes in Texas;
• Harley Davidson Road King Police Motorcycle and the Bike Patrol, assigned to patrol the Capitol Complex in Austin;
• Tejas Mobile Command Center, a self-contained mobile communications command center that deploys across Texas in response to natural disasters, law enforcement events and other emergency situations;
• Mounted Patrol, which consists of a trooper on horseback and is assigned to patrol the Capitol Complex;
• Canine Unit, which uses specially trained dogs to search for narcotics and explosives; and
• Texas Division of Emergency Management response vehicle.
DPS is one of many museum venues around Austin that will open their doors free of charge for Austin Museum Day on Sunday. For a complete list of activities, please visit: http://www.austinmuseums.org/.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.