Below are examples of how Texas could be affected by the automatic budget cuts that are set to take effect this week.
The White House compiled the numbers from federal agencies and its own budget office. The numbers reflect the impact of the cuts this year. Unless Congress acts by Friday, $85 billion in cuts are set to take effect from March-September.
As to whether states could move money around to cover shortfalls, the White House said that depends on state budget structures and the specific programs. The White House did not have a list of which states or programs might have flexibility.
- About $67.8 million in funding for primary and secondary education, putting around 930 teacher and aide jobs at risk.
- Head Start and Early Head Start would be eliminated for approximately 4,800 children.
- About $8.5 million in environmental funding.
- About $2.2 million in grants for fish and wildlife protection.
MILITARY READINESS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT:
-About 52,000 civilian Department of Defense employees would be furloughed, reducing gross pay by around $274.8 million.
- About $233 million for Army base operations in Texas.
- About $27 million for Air Force operations in Texas.
JOB SEARCH AID:
- About $2.2 million in funding for job search assistance, referral and placement.
- About $1.1 million in grants that support law enforcement, prosecution, courts, crime prevention, corrections and crime victim initiatives.
NUTRITION ASSISTANCE FOR SENIORS
- About $3.6 million in funding for meals for seniors.
- About $2.4 million in funds to help Texas upgrade its ability to respond to public health threats including infectious diseases, natural disasters and biological, chemical, nuclear and radiological events.
- About $6.8 million in grants to help prevent and treat substance abuse.
- About $1.1 million in health department funding for HIV tests.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.