LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) - The cost to clean a West Texas school where a student took a container of mercury he says he found has reached nearly $900,000.
Ector County Independent School District spokesman Mike Adkins on Monday said that figure could rise once all invoices are received from companies that cleaned John B. Hood Junior High School in Odessa.
As many as 70 people were taken to hospitals March 18 after exposure to the toxic element. No one was injured.
A ninth-grader told officials he found the mercury in a plastic bottle in an alley on the way to school.
More than 500 items had to be thrown away during the school cleanup. Students attended a different school until April 3.
Mercury is most dangerous when heated because poisonous vapors can be inhaled.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.