CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) - A young South Texas football player has died after apparently suffering a severe allergic reaction to ant bites while warming up for the second half of a middle school game.
Officials confirmed Tuesday that 12-year-old Cameron Espinosa died days after being bitten multiple times by fire ants. Corpus Christi school district spokeswoman Lorette Williams says the boy used a water bottle to try and remove the ants, but he eventually fell unconscious last Wednesday. He was taken to a hospital and was hospitalized in critical condition. The eighth-grader died Monday.
The game resumed after Cameron was transported to the hospital but later halted when the severity of his condition became apparent.
Williams says the boy didn't know he was allergic to ants and the district had no record of allergies.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.