COLLEGE STATION - UPDATE: Sad news to report. The injured bald eagle brought to Texas A&M for treatment has been put down.
The bird was found Wednesday in Houston. It's left wing had suffered a bad electrical burn.
Vets determined the injury was too severe and the only humane treatment was euthanasia.
Veterinarians at Texas A&M’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences are trying to save a critically injured bald eagle.
The bird was shocked by electricity, sometime Monday and Tuesday, in Houston. It was discovered this morning. The Wildlife Center of Texas brought the bird to the Small Animal Clinic at Texas A&M.
The bird has electrical burns on his left wing, including entry and exit wounds, which are common with electrical injuries.
“We're going to wait it out,” said Dr. J. Jill Heatley. “We're going to do the best we can, give him good pain control, good antibiotics and see how much more skin dies off. Unfortunately, I don't have the best hope for him because it's really a very severe wound.”
U.S. Fish and Wildlife regulations say that if the eagle is not able to keep a certain portion of his wing, he will have to be euthanized.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.