COLLEGE STATION - Texas A&M Technology Commercialization today presented Patent Awards to individuals and teams who are currently employed by the A&M System and whose inventions were granted patent protection from the United States Patent & Trademark Office in 2013.
“Our researchers are working diligently behind the scenes developing innovations that will help us in our everyday lives,” said Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp. “By commercializing these advancements, we are able to take their research to the marketplace where it can help the most people.”
Texas A&M University professors Dr. Yue Kuo, Dr. Stephen Safe and Dr. Karen Wooley were presented with the Innovation Awards. The Innovation Award is given in recognition of an individual whose research exemplifies the spirit of innovation within the A&M System.
Kuo is a Dow Professor in the Chemical Engineering Department with a joint appointment in Materials Science and Engineering and Electrical Engineering at Texas A&M, where he established the renowned Thin Film Nano & Microelectronics Research Laboratory. He joined Texas A&M University in 1998 after finishing two decades industry research and development in TBM T.J. Watson Research Center and Silicon Valley.
Safe is a faculty member in the Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology with a cross-appointment in the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics and is the director of the Center for Environmental and Genetic Medicine. Most recently, he founded SpKD Company, LLC, a start-up focusing on further development of a class of compounds to reduce tumor formation and metastasis.
Wooley is a distinguished professor of chemistry and has held the W.T. Doherty-Welch Chair in Chemistry at Texas A&M since 2009. She is the first female to receive the American Chemical Society Award in Polymer Chemistry – a prestigious accolade that recognizes outstanding fundamental contributions and advancements in polymer systems and materials.
Patent Award winners by A&M System institution include:
• Texas A&M University – Dr. Peter M. McIntyre, Dr. Muhammad Suhail Zubairy and Dr. Marlan Scully.
• Texas A&M Health Science Center – Dr. Magnus Höök, Dr. Elizabeth M. Cosgriff-Hernandez, and Dr. Stephen H. Safe.
• Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi – Dr. Wen-Long Jang
• Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station – Dr. B. Don Russell, Dr. Karthick Muthu-Manivannan, Dr. Peng Xu, Dr. Gwan S. Choi, Dr. John C. Criscione, Dr. Charles H. Culp, Dr. David E. Claridge, Dr. Mark T. Holtzapple, Dr. Jun Kameoka, Dr. Hung-Jue Sue, Carl L. Benner, Sebastian Taco–Vasquez, and Dazhi Sun.
• Texas A&M Transportation Institute – Dr. Dean C. Alberson, Dr. D. Lance Bullard Jr., Dr. Roger P. Bligh, Dr. Eugene Buth and Dr. Hayes E. Ross, Jr.
• Texas A&M AgriLife Research – Dr. Luc Berghman, Dr. William L. Rooney, Dr. David M. Stelly, Dr. Stephen H. Safe and George L. Hodnett.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.