BRENHAM – For the fourth consecutive week, the Blinn College football team holds down the No. 2 spot in the NJCAA poll behind top-ranked Navarro College. The Bucs earned 132 points and one first place vote, while the Bulldogs received 138 points and five first place votes. The two will clash this Saturday at Brenham’s Cub Stadium in the NJCAA’s most anticipated game of the season.
The Buccaneers, fresh off their bye week, are 4-0 overall and 1-0 in SWJCFC play. Navarro (4-0, 2-0) are winners of 14 straight and are coming off a hard fought 22-17 road win over non-ranked Kilgore College last week.
On the season, the Buccaneer offense is averaging a staggering 66 points per contest, while the defense is only allowing 14. With the 52 point average margin of victory, the Bucs have twice scored over 60 points and amassed a program best 88 points in week two. Navarro on the other hand, is averaging wins of just under 9 points per contest, including an overtime thriller against Butler Community College in week one.
The Bucs look to avenge a 9-3 loss to the Bulldogs in 2010, where they came up a few inches short on their final drive in the closing seconds. Since 2001, Blinn and Navarro have squared-off 13 times, with the Bulldogs winning seven and five out of the last seven. In 2008 and 2009, the two met in the SWJCFC championship game, with the Bucs winning both in convincing fashion.
Although early in the season, bowl game and national title implications rest on the winner of this contest. Seven of the last 16 national champions have been SWJCFC teams, including Blinn in 2009 and Navarro in 2010. Blinn also won the NJCAA titles in 1995, 1996 and 2006.
Kick-off for the “Battle of Champions” is 7 p.m. at Cub Stadium in Brenham. The Blinn student leadership and activities department will be hosting a “Blue Out” night where all students and fans are encouraged to wear blue in support of the Bucs.
The game can be heard live on www.kwhi.com and can also be viewed live via web stream on www.ihigh.com/blinn.
NJCAA Football Poll – Sept. 27, 2011
School, Record, Poll Votes (1st Place Votes), Previous Ranking
1. Navarro College, Texas, 4-0, 138 (5), 1
2. Blinn College, Texas, 4-0, 132 (1), 2
3. Arizona Western College, 4-0, 126 (1), 3
4. East Mississippi CC, 4-0, 114, 4
5. Iowa Western CC, 5-0, 111, 5
6. Snow College, Utah, 4-0, 107, 6
7. Butler CC, Kan., 4-1, 101, 7
8. Grand Rapids CC, Mich., 5-0, 93, 8
9. Trinity Valley CC, Texas, 4-0, 82, 9
10. Northwest Mississippi CC, 3-1, 75, 9
11. Hutchinson CC, Kan., 3-1, 72, 11
12. Mississippi Gulf Coast CC, 3-1, 60, 13
13. Pearl River CC, Miss., 3-1, 56, 15
14. Coffeyville CC, Kan., 3-1, 47, 16
15. Northeast Mississippi CC, 4-0, 38, 19
16. New Mexico Military Institute, 4-0, 33, RV
17. Rochester CTC, Minn., 5-0, 28, 20
18. Louisburg College, N.C., 4-0, 18, RV
19. Glendale CC, Ariz., 4-1, 14, 12
20. Eastern Arizona College, 4-1, 11, RV
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.