BRENHAM – For the second time in three weeks, the Buccaneer football team will be at home to face an undefeated top-10 SWJCFC opponent as they face No. 8 Trinity Valley this Saturday at Cub Stadium in Brenham. The Bucs maintained their No. 1 ranking in this week’s NJCAA Football poll, again earning 138 points and five first place votes. Arizona Western held on at No. 2 with two first place votes.
The Bucs (6-0, 3-0), are coming off a 55-31 win versus Tyler Junior College this past weekend, playing a “home” game on the road at Bryan High School’s Merrill Green Stadium. The Cardinals (6-0, 3-0) won their game versus NEO in similar fashion, trouncing the Golden Norsemen on the road 55-21.
On the season, the Bucs are tops in the conference and third in the nation in total offense, with a balanced attack of 257 yards rushing and 241 passing per game. In six games, the Bucs offense have averaged just over 58 points, while the defense has held their opponents to only 19. The Cardinals also feature a high octane offense, ranking 11th in the nation with 446 yards and 42 points per game. They boast one of the stingiest defenses in the nation, only allowing 210 yards per contest and giving up just under two touchdowns per game.
The Bucs are led by redshirt freshman quarterback Eric Matthews (Brookshire Royal), who is currently seventh in the nation in overall offense, averaging 282 yards per game. Matthews has thrown for 1,263 yards and 14 touchdowns on the season, while adding another 428 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground.
This weekend’s game will be Homecoming for Blinn College, with a special presentation of the 2011 Hall of Honor inductees prior to kick-off and the crowing of the homecoming king and queen at halftime. Kick-off for Saturday’s game is set for 3 p.m. at Cub Stadium.
NJCAA Football Poll – Oct. 11, 2011
School, Record, Poll Votes (1st Place Votes), Previous Ranking
1. Blinn College, Texas, 6-0, 138 (5), 1
2. Arizona Western College, 6-0, 134 (2), 2
3. East Mississippi CC, 6-0, 124, 3
4. Snow College, Utah, 6-0, 118, 4
5. Butler CC, Kan., 6-1, 111, 5
6. Grand Rapids CC, Mich., 7-0, 105, 6
7. Navarro College, Texas, 5-1, 98, 7
8. Trinity Valley CC, Texas, 6-0, 92, 8
9. Hutchinson CC, Kan., 5-1, 88, 9
10. Mississippi Gulf Coast CC, 5-1, 75, 10
11. Iowa Western CC, 5-1, 71, 11
12. Coffeyville CC, Kan., 5-1, 63, 14
13. Eastern Arizona College, 6-1, 54, 15
14. Hinds CC, Miss., 5-1, 45, 17
15. Rochester CTC, Minn., 7-0, 41, 16
16. Nassau CC, N.Y., 5-1, 29, 19
17. New Mexico Military Institute, 5-1, 28, 13
18. Northeast Mississippi CC, 5-1, 27,12
19. Central Lakes College-Brainerd, Minn., 6-1, 16, 20
20. Glendale CC, Ariz., 5-2, 6, RV
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.