Sam Houston State Bearkats Headlines
Kats first team in nation to start practice
- When the Bearkats walked on to the turf at Elliott T. Bowers Stadium Monday morning, Sam Houston became the first college football team in the nation to begin 2014 preseason camp.
Jonathan Small becomes Sam Houston's football operations coordinator
- Jonathan Small has joined the Sam Houston State University athletic staff as football operations coordinator for Bearkat head coach K. C. Keeler’s program.
SHSU Football Reports For Preseason Camp Sunday
- Ninety-five players report Sunday afternoon as Sam Houston opens preseason camp for its 98th year of football.
SHSU Announced 2014 Athletic Hall of Honor Inductees
- Eight Bearkat sports greats will be inducted into the Sam Houston State University men’s and women’s Halls of Honor at a special dinner at the Lowman Student Center Friday, Nov. 7.
Southeastern Louisiana Picked to Defend Southland Title
- Southeastern Louisiana, which won its first league title in school history last season, was picked as the favorite heading into the 2014 season as voted on by the league's coaches and sports information directors, the league announced Wednesday at its annual media day at L'auberge Resort.
Five Bearkat football games to be televised during 2014 regular season
- Sam Houston State will make five television appearances during the upcoming 2014 season.
JT Taylor second at Magnolia Amateur
- Sam Houston senior golfer JT Taylor shot eight under par and finished second in the Magnolia Amateur at Hattiesburg Country Club in Hattiesburg, Miss. Taylor is one of several Bearkat golfers having a strong summer on the Amateur circuit.
NCAA Suggests Contact Limits for Football Practice
- The NCAA is suggesting that football teams hold no more than two contact practices per week during the season in guidelines that grew out of a safety and concussion summit early this year.
Two Bearkats on preseason watch lists
- Tight end Shane Young and kicker Luc Swimberghe of Sam Houston State University have been included on preseason watch lists for FCS post-season awards.
Matt Deggs Named Head Baseball Coach at SHSU
- Matt Deggs joins Sam Houston State as the school’s eighth head baseball coach, Athletics Director Bobby Williams announced Friday. The former hitting coach for Louisiana-Lafayette, Texas A&M and Arkansas will bring his aggressive offensive approach to the Bearkats
SHSU Soccer adds assistant coach
- Matt Armstrong has joined Sam Houston head coach Tom Brown’s soccer staff as an assistant coach.
Azar Named Student-Athlete of the Year
- Sam Houston State senior Anthony Azar has been named the Southland Conference Baseball Student-Athlete of the Year, the league office announced Tuesday in conjunction with the release of the All-Academic Baseball Teams.
Azar on ABCA All-Region first team
- Sam Houston senior catcher Anthony Azar has been named to the ABCA/Rawlings NCAA Division I Central All-Region first-team. The Bearkat backstop was a second-team member last season.
SHSU Baseball Coaching Candidates Announced
- An initial list of six highly qualified coaches will interview for the Bearkats’ head baseball coaching post, Sam Houston Director of Athletics Bobby Williams announced Monday.
Bearkats Ranked No. 21 In Athlon Sports FCS Top 25
- College football isn't just about the major conferences, as the FCS has provided plenty of intrigue on a national level in recent years.
More Sam Houston State Bearkats Headlines