COLLEGE STATION -- After having the start of their match pushed back over an hour due to rain delays, the Texas A&M men’s tennis team dropped a hard fought match 4-3 to Oklahoma State on Sunday at the Mitchell Tennis Center.
Oklahoma State jumped out to the early lead by taking the doubles point. Anton Bobytskyi and Mark Kepler defeated Matt Bain and Mike Beatty 8-2 to take the first doubles match.
After falling behind 5-4 on the No. 2 doubles court, Chris Chirico and Conor Pollock battled back for an 8-6 victory over Ivan Puchkarov and Dmytro Petrov to even the doubles contest at one match apiece.
On the number one doubles court, Oleksandr Nedovyesov and Nathan Byrnes defeated Austin Krajicek and Wil Spencer 8-5 to clinch the doubles point for the Cowboys.
“Oklahoma State has great players,” Texas A&M head coach Steve Denton said. “You can’t get down against good teams and try to play catch up.”
The Cowboys extended their lead to 2-0 when Bobytskyi defeated Bain 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 5 spot.
Texas A&M got on the board next as Chirico dominated Byrnes 6-1, 6-1 on the No. 4 line.
After Chirico put the Aggies on the board, Kepler ran the Cowboy lead to 3-1 with a straight set 7-5, 6-3 victory over Kayvon Karimi on the No. 6 singles court.
The Aggies refused to die however as Krajicek handed Petrov a 6-4, 6-4 loss to pull the Aggies within a match at 3-2.
Court one proved to be the difference maker once again as Nedovyesov defeated Pollock 6-4, 6-4 to clinch the win for the Cowboys.
At the No. 2 spot, Spencer finalized the days scoring with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Puchkarov.
The Aggies will return to action on Wednesday night as they host the Baylor Bears for Senior Night at the Mitchell Tennis Center.
No. 23 Oklahoma State 4, No. 21 Texas A&M 3.
1. (#11) Oleksandr Nedovyesov (OSU) def. (#23) Conor Pollock (A&M) 6-4, 6-4
2. Wil Spencer (A&M) def. (#34) Ivan Puchkarov (OSU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Austin Krajicek (A&M) def. (#115) Dmytro Petrov (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Chris Chirico (A&M) def. Nathan Byrnes (OSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Anton Bobytskyi (OSU) def. Matt Bain (A&M) 6-1, 6-0
6. Mark Kepler (OSU) def. Kayvon Karimi (A&M) 7-5, 6-3
Doubles (Oklahoma State wins the point)
1. Nedovyesoz/ Byrnes (OSU) def. Krajicek/ Spencer 8-5
2. Chirico/ Pollock (A&M) def. Puchkarov/ Petrov 8-6
3. Bobytskyi/ Kepler (OSU) def. Bain/ Beatty 8-2
Order of finish (D3, D2, D1, S5, S4, S6, S3, S1*, S2)
* Clinched Match
George P. Mitchell Tennis Center (Attendance: 517)
Team records: Texas A&M (9-7, 1-2 Big 12); Oklahoma State (12-6, 1-1 Big 12)