COLLEGE STATION, Texas—The Texas A&M football team held its lone workout of the day Thursday morning in full pads for two and a half hours on the Coolidge Practice Fields.
“I thought we were sluggish today,” A&M coach Mike Sherman said. “There was a lack of consistency that we’ll have to have in order to win on a consistent basis. We have to practice better.”
When asked about the play of the offensive line, Sherman said he was very pleased with what he has seen so far.
“I think they have made a lot of progress,” Sherman said. “We need to improve our tempo, but as far as blocking they are doing pretty well. From where they came from they have made a lot of progress.”
Following practice, Sherman named senior Stephen McGee the starting quarterback for the August 30 season opener against Arkansas State.
“It was a heck of a race,” Sherman said. “I talked to the quarterbacks last night and told them I thought all four of them competed very well. It was a tough decision because at times different guys did different things. I’m not disappointed in any of them. In the end, though, Stephen was the most consistent at the quarterback position. I told him it was his job for today and he would have to hold on to it. Nothing is set in stone except that he is our starter for the Arkansas State game.”
As practices continue to be open to students and former students, Sherman was asked about having the workouts open and people watching from the sidelines.
“I think it’s good to have fans there,” Sherman said. “You’re going to have to play in front of fans, so it’s good to have them out there. It’s just part of being head coach at Texas A&M. They care about their football team, and it’s their team, so they should be allowed to come watch. We’ll see how that goes and take it day by day.”
The Aggies will work out twice on Friday. Fans are reminded that outdoor workouts are now open to current students, former students and Texas A&M faculty and staff members.
Friday’s schedule and the new practice attendance policy are listed below and subject to change without notice.
UPCOMING PRACTICE SCHEDULE (as of Thursday, 3 p.m.)
FRIDAY, AUGUST 15
7:30 a.m., Coolidge Practice Fields
3:30 p.m., McFerrin Athletic Center (NOT OPEN TO PUBLIC)
TEXAS A&M FOOTBALL PRESEASON PRACTICE POLICY
- All current Texas A&M students with their student ID may attend preseason fall camp workouts.
- Former students with an Aggie Ring may attend preseason fall camp workouts.
- Texas A&M faculty and staff with their University ID may attend preseason fall practice.
- All visitors must sign in at the registration table at the gate.
- No cell phones, cameras or audio/video equipment are allowed. Visitors are recommended to leave cell phones in their car.
- Visitors must remain behind the maroon lines marked on the Coolidge Practice Fields. At Kyle Field, please remain in the stands.
- You must have a valid TAMU parking permit to park in the lots near the Bright Football Complex. Transportation Services recommends parking in either the University Center Parking Garage or the West Campus Parking Garage.
- If practices have to be moved into the McFerrin Athletic Center, fans are not allowed due to fire codes and lack of space on the sidelines.
- Remember, we are Aggies, we are a family. The privilege of attending practice will remain as long as it does not hamper the team's preparation, or put our team at a competitive disadvantage.