Raiders Survive Strong Aggie First Half, Defeat A&M

After a strong first half showing that saw Texas A&M take a lead into the intermission, the seventh-ranked Texas Tech Red Raiders overpowered the Aggies in the second half Saturday.

Undefeated Tech walked away from Kyle Field with a zero still in the loss column, beating A&M 43-25.

The Aggies fall to 2-5 on the season, and remain winless in conference play. It's their fourth loss in five games at Kyle Field this season.

Raider quarterback Graham Harrell threw 56 times on the afternoon, completing on 44 of those attempts, three for touchdowns. He also ran for two scores on the afternoon.

Two of those touchdown tosses were to star Raider wideout Michael Crabtree, including the first Tech score of the ballgame. The touchdown answered an A&M opening drive field goal.

Down 7-3, the Aggies responded with a score of their own. Stephen McGee, in for Jerrod Johnson after he was banged up, found Ryan Tannehill for a three-yard score. Tannehill had actually been under center a couple plays earlier when Johnson initially went down.

Johnson would end the day 26-39 passing for 283 yards. His was the bulk of the offense, as the Aggie rushing attack only counted for 20 yards.

The teams would trade scores in the second quarter. A Baron Batch three-yard run put Tech back up, but the extra point was blocked, keeping it 13-10 Raiders.

The Aggies drove deep on their next two drives, but didn't get into the endzone. Back-to-back Randy Bullock field goals gave the Aggies the lead back at 16-13.

A Harrell throw to Batch from eight yards out gave the visitors the advantage once again, but a two-minute drill drive for A&M at the end of the half culminated in a Mike Goodson touchdown from one yard out. The Aggies led at half, 23-20.

The momentum would not carry over, as A&M only mustered two points, five first downs and 32 yards of total offense in the second half.

Another Harrell-to-Crabtree hookup gave Tech a 27-23 lead out of the gate in the third quarter, and Cyrus Gray's fumble on the ensuing kickoff gave Tech the ball back. A Michael Bennett's interception made up for the mistake, but A&M could not capitalize, and Tech's next possession ended in a field goal by Cory Fowler.

Harrell's first of two touchdown runs came early in the fourth quarter, extending Tech's lead to 36-23, but another blocked extra point was returned by Arkeith Brown for two points for the Aggies.

A&M's offense could not get anything going down nine, and a time-consuming drive for Tech all-but-ended the game when Harrell scampered in for a second rushing score.

For Texas Tech, their 7-0 start on the season is the school's best in 32 years. They have won seven of the last eight meetings with A&M.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus