EL PASO, TX - Irina Sotnikova, Giorgia Pozzan and Peta Taylor all won in singles and the Bearkats swept doubles as Sam Houston State took a 4-3 dual match decision over Gonzaga at the UTEP Tennis Classic Friday afternoon.
The victory lifts Sam Houston State's 2009 women's tennis dual match record to 3-2. The Bearkats take on tournament host UTEP Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m.
Sotnikova defeated Aglaya Kokurina 6-3 6-3 at number one singles. Sotnikova stands 15-0 in singles play this season including fall tournaments and spring dual matches.
Pozzan downed Rika Mehndiratta 6-3 7-5 at number two and Taylor won 6-0 6-3 over Danielle Farmer at number three singles.
Sotnikova and Taylor won 8-2 in the number one doubles pro set, defeating Farmer and Mehndiratta. Pozzan and Stasa Vujosevic defeated Clare Dodge and Kokurina at number two 8-5. Eleonora Kuruc and Paty Manzur made it a clean sweep in doubles with an 8-3 win over Madelina Parker and Kristina Zauere at number three.
Tennis Match Results
Sam Houston State vs Gonzaga
Feb 13, 2009 at El Paso, TX
Sam Houston State 4, Gonzaga 3
1. Irina Sotnikova (SHSU) def. Aglaya Kokurina (GONZAGA) 6-3, 6-3
2. Giorgia Pozzan (SHSU) def. Rika Mehndiratta (GONZAGA) 6-3, 7-5
3. Peta Taylor (SHSU) def. Danielle Farmer (GONZAGA) 6-0, 6-3
4. Kristina Zauere (GONZAGA) def. Paty Manzur (SHSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Madelina Parker (GONZAGA) def. Eleonora Kuruc (SHSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Clare Dodge (GONZAGA) def. Stasa Vujosevic (SHSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
1. Irina Sotnikova/Peta Taylor (SHSU) def. Danielle Farmer/Rika Mehndiratta (GONZAGA) 8-2
2. Giorgia Pozzan/Stasa Vujosevic (SHSU) def. Clare Dodge/Aglaya Kokurina (GONZAGA) 8-5
3. Eleonora Kuruc/Paty Manzur (SHSU) def. Madelina Parker/Kristina Zauere (GONZAGA) 8-3
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.