HUNTSVILLE -- Irina Sotnikova defeated Bogusia Patzer 6-3 6-4 at number one singles and paired with Lata Assudani for a victory at number one doubles to lead Sam Houston State to a 4-3 Southland Conference women's tennis victory over Northwesten State Sunday at the McAdams Tennis Center.
Brooke Mills and Peta Taylor combined to win at number two doubles to give the Bearkats the doubles point and Taylor won at number four singles for Marine Neveu 6-3 6-4. Northwestern State had to default at number six singles due to an injury.
Sam Houston State (8-3, SLC 5-1) has won seven of their last eight matches.
"I was very impressed with the effort of Northwestern today. They came in having to default a doubles match and a singles match due to injuries, but they still gave us all that we could handle," SHSU head coach Jim Giachino said. "We did what we needed to do this weekend in winning our two conference matches. We continue to compete very hard, and I was pleased to see Peta and Brooke playing much better in singles. We will need their production as we head down the stretch in our last 5 conference matches."
Northwestern State drops to 7-6 for the year and 4-3 in Southland action.
Next action for the Bearkat women's tennis team are Southland Conference road matches at McNeese State Saturday and Lamar Sunday.
Sam Houston State University 4, Northwestern St 3
1. Lata Assudani/Irina Sotnikova (SHSU) def. Bogusia Patzer/Magail Van den
Bergh (NWST) 8-2
2. Brooke Mills/Peta Taylor (SHSU) def. Daniela Posada/Catalina Villegas
3. Lauren Janak/Patricia Manzur (SHSU) def. Team/Default (NWST), by default
1. Irina Sotnikova (SHSU) def. Bogusia Patzer (NWST) 6-3, 6-4
2. Catalina Villegas (NWST) def. Lata Assudani (SHSU) 5-7, 7-5, 7-6
3. Magail Van den Bergh (NWST) def. Brooke Mills (SHSU) 7-6, 6-4
4. Peta Taylor (SHSU) def. Marine Neveu (NWST) 6-3, 6-4
5. Daniela Posada (NWST) def. Emma McDougall (SHSU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Ashley Longoria (SHSU) def. Default (NWST), by default