THE WOODLANDS -- Winning the doubles point and number two, three, and four singles, Southeastern Louisiana ended Sam Houston State's hopes for a Southland Conference title in women's tennis as the Lions remained unbeaten in league play with a 4-1 dual match victory Saturday evening at The Woodlands Country Club indoor facility.
Due to the rain and slete conditions, the match was moved indoors. With the victory, Southeastern Louisiana upped their season mark to 17-2 and stand 9-0 atop the Southland women's tennis standings. Sam Houston State dropped to 11-4 for the year and 8-2 in Southland play.
Texas-Arlington, at 7-1, currently ranks second in the league race, but a Maverick loss to Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond, LA, combined with a Bearkat victory over Stephen F. Austin in their final regular season match next Saturday would put Sam Houston and UTA in a tie for the SLC runner-up spot, SHSU's highest league finish in 20 years in the SLC.
Number one singles player Irina Sotnikova earned the Bearkats their only point of the match, defeating Emilija Arnaudovska, the No. 102 ranked player in NCAA Division I tennis, 6-0 3-6 6-3. Sotnikova and Lata Assudani also teamed for an 8-4 victory over Nina Kravs and Breda Kovac in the number one doubles, but Southeastern Louisiana claimed the doubles point by winning at both number two and three.
Iva Velkovska defeated Lata Assudani 6-3 6-1 at number two, Breda Kovac edged Brooke Mills 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 at number three, and Jana Simurkova beat Peta Taylor 6-1, 6-3 at number four for the remaining three points. The five and six singles matches were stopped when the match was clinched.
"I'm very proud of our team. It was a hard fought match and Southeastern Louisiana won the big points when they had to," SHSU head coach Jim Giachino said. "This was a high quality match and the girls left everything on the court."
Southeastern Louisiana 4, Sam Houston State University 1
1. Lata Assudani/Irina Sotnikova (SHSU) def. Nina Knavs/Breda Kovac (SLU) 8-4
2. Emilija Arnaudovska/Iva Velkovska (SLU) def. Brooke Mills/Peta Taylor (SHSU) 8-6
3. Aleksandra Coric/Jana Simurkova (SLU) def. Lauren Janak/Emma McDougall (SHSU) 8-2
1. Irina Sotnikova (SHSU) def. Emilija Arnaudovska (SLU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
2. Iva Velkovska (SLU) def. Lata Assudani (SHSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Breda Kovac (SLU) def. Brooke Mills (SHSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Jana Simurkova (SLU) def. Peta Taylor (SHSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Emma McDougall (SHSU) vs. Bonnie Phillips (SLU) 2-6, 1-0, unfinished
6. Patricia Manzur (SHSU) vs. Nina Knavs (SLU) 3-2, unfinished
Southeastern Louisiana 17-2 SLC 9-0
Sam Houston State University 11-4, SLC 8-2