COLLEGE STATION – The Texas A&M men’s basketball team is back in action this week when it hits the road for Columbia, S.C., for its first ever visit to South Carolina. The Aggies and Gamecocks face off Wednesday at 6 p.m. (CT) inside Colonial Life Arena.
The Aggies (12-7) enter the week with a 3-3 record in SEC play to place them in a six-way tie for fifth place in the league standings alongside Alabama, LSU, Missouri, Mississippi State and Tennessee. Texas A&M is seeking to reverse a recent trend of three straight setbacks that followed a perfect 3-0 start to league play.
Similarly, the Gamecocks (7-12) also enter Wednesday’s contest hoping to end a losing skid as they have dropped six consecutive games since their last win on Jan. 3 against South Carolina State.
The match-up will be web-streamed at ESPN3.com with Roy Philpott (play-by-play) and Stan Lewter (commentary) calling all the action. Additionally, the game can be heard on the Texas A&M Sports Network with local coverage in the Bryan-College Station area on WTAW (1620 AM).
Just two weeks ago the Aggies and Gamecocks squared off in College Station with Texas A&M prevailing by the score of 75-67. South Carolina came out strong in the contest and led much of the action until A&M retook the lead for good on a pair of Jamal Jones free throws with 6:59 to play.
Jones was the offensive star of the night for the Aggies, totaling 22 points while enjoying a 9-of-12 performance from the charity stripe. Freshmen Shawn Smith and Davonte Fitzgerald contributed 14 and 13 points, respectively, while sophomore Alex Caruso dished out a game-high seven assists.
USC senior Brenton Williams paced the Gamecocks in scoring with 14 points on the night.
The all-time series between the two schools stands at 2-0 in favor of Texas A&M with both previous meetings occurring in College Station.
• The Aggies enter the week with a 3-3 record in SEC play to place them in a six-way tie for fifth place in the league standings alongside Alabama, Missouri, Mississippi State, LSU and Tennessee.
• Wednesday marks just the third-ever meeting between Texas A&M and South Carolina on the hardwood as well as the Aggies' first-ever trip to Columbia, S.C.
• Just two weeks ago the Aggies and Gamecocks squared off at Reed Arena with Texas A&M walking off the court with a 75-67 victory ... Junior Jamal Jones led the way for A&M in the win with a 22-point showing that included a 9-of-12 mark from the free throw line ... Freshmen Shawn Smith and Davonte Fitzgerald also reached double-digit scoring in the contest, finishing with 14 and 13 points, respectively.
• During SEC play, the Aggies pace the league in 3-point shooting at 38.3 percent with Jones ranking fifth in 3-point shooting percentage (.424) and seventh in 3-point field goals made per contest (2.3).
• Sophomore Alex Caruso remains the SEC's leader in assists (91) and assists per game (4.8) while ranking fourth in steals per game (2.2).
SERIES HISTORY VS. SOUTH CAROLINA (TEXAS A&M LEADS 2-0)
• Wednesday will be the third all-time meeting between the Aggies & Gamecocks on the hardwood and the second match-up in two weeks.
• This will be the Aggies' first trip to Columbia, S.C.
• On Jan. 15th, Texas A&M earned a 75-67 win over the Gamecocks at Reed Arena ... Jamal Jones led the Aggies with 22 points while Shawn Smith contributed 14 and Davonte Fitzgerald added 13.
• Last season, during the first meeting between the schools Texas A&M earned a 74-56 victory at Reed Arena ... Elston Turner contributed a game-high 28 points in the win while Fabyon Harris added 12.
• USC head coach Frank Martin is no stranger to the Aggies, however, after faced the Aggies seven times while head coach at Kansas State (2007-12) ... Martin is 5-4 all-time vs. Texas A&M.
• Aggie floor general Billy Kennedy is 2-0 against the Gamecocks, facing them for the first time last season.
The Aggies' road swing continues when they travel to Gainesville, Fla., to battle No. 3 Florida on Saturday inside the O'Connell Center.... The game is set to tip-off at 3 p.m. (CT) and will be televised by SEC TV.
Aggie Basketball Game #20:
Texas A&M (12-7, 3-3 SEC) at South Carolina (7-12, 0-6 SEC)
Jan. 29, 2014 · 6:00 p.m. (CT)
Colonial Life Arena (18,000)
WEB STREAM: ESPN3 (For more info - AggieAthletics.com/TV)
Roy Philpott, Play-by-Play
Stan Lewter, Commentary
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Mike Caruso, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: AggieAthletics.com
LIVE MOBILE LIVE STATS: tamustats.com