TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - Trevor Lacey scored 14 points and hit the game-winning jumper with 9 seconds left as Alabama overcame a 14-point first-half deficit to edge Texas A&M 50-49 Saturday.
Playing the 2,500th game in program history, the Crimson Tide (11-6, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) trailed 20-6 early and 26-15 at intermission, then opened the second half on a 15-2 run, with Lacey hitting two 3-pointers, to lead 30-28.
The lead went back and forth, with Alex Caruso's layup putting the Aggies (12-5, 2-2) ahead 47-45 with 1:11 left. Andrew Steele answered with a three-point play for Alabama, but Texas A&M regained the lead on Fabyon Harris' jumper with 19 seconds to go. After an Alabama timeout, Lacey scored for the final margin.
Texas A&M's in-bounds pass bounced off Lacey's leg and Trevor Releford, who led Alabama with 15 points, picked it up to preserve the win.
Elston Turner's 13 points led the Aggies.
Texas A&M Basketball
Alabama 50, Texas A&M 49
January 19, 2013 – Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Texas A&M fell to 12-5 on the season with a 2-2 mark in SEC play.
- Alabama, meanwhile, improved to 11-6 and 3-1 in the SEC and has won three straight.
- The Crimson Tide now lead the all-time series, 7-3.
- A&M outrebounded its fourth straight SEC opponent (27-25 on the day).
- Senior forward Jarod Jahns made his first career start in the contest ... The Spring, Texas, native played 26 minutes contributing two points and four rebounds.
- Senior Elston Turner scored 13 points to notch double digits in scoring for the 16th time this season... he's scored 10 or more points in 39 of 49 career games at Texas A&M.
- Freshman J'Mychal Reese scored 10 points, reaching double figures for the sixth time this season and scored 10-plus points in back-to-back games for the first time this year.
- Sophomore Kourtney Roberson led the team in rebounds (8) for the third time in the last four games.
1st Half Notes
- Texas A&M lead 26-15 after 20 minutes of play.
- The 15 points scored by Alabama was the second lowest total by a conference foe in first-half play in school history ... only one time has an Aggie team held a league opponent to fewer first half points (Texas Tech, SWC, 13 points on 2/19/1986).
2nd Half Notes
- Alabama began the period on a 19-4 run to take a four-point lead at 34-30 with 14:12 to play.
- The Crimson Tide outscored the Aggies 35-23 after halftime.