COLLEGE STATION, Texas – For the final time during the regular season the Texas A&M men’s basketball team will hit the road when the Aggies face Missouri on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. inside Mizzou Arena.
The last-season match-up is an important one in the race for the postseason and seeding at the upcoming SEC Tournament (March 12-16 in Atlanta, Ga.). Texas A&M (17-12) and Missouri (20-9) each enter the week claiming a share of sixth place in the SEC standings with an even 8-8 league record. The two squads stand just one game out of fourth place as the top 10 seeds at the SEC Tournament receive an opening-round bye and the top four seeds are granted a double-bye.
Wednesday’s contest will be web-streamed at ESPN3.com with Mike Couzens (play-by-play) and Kevin Lehman (commentary) calling all the action. Additionally, the game can be heard on the Texas A&M Sports Network with local coverage in the Bryan-College Station area on WTAW (1620 AM).
The Aggies are coming off an impressive 71-60 win over Ole Miss on Saturday in College Station. During the victory, junior Jordan Green stepped up to contribute career-highs in both points (16) and minutes played (36) while providing solid defense on the Rebels’ high-scoring guard Marshall Henderson.
Junior Jamal Jones led all scorers with 21 points against Ole Miss, marking the sixth time this season the Wynne, Ark., native has reached the 20-point plateau. Jones enters the week ranking 12th in the SEC by averaging 15.5 points per game during league play.
Sophomore Alex Caruso dished out nine assists against Ole Miss to give him 251 for his career and earn a spot in Texas A&M’s 250-Assist Club. He became the 15th member of the elite fraternity and just the eighth Aggie to do so in two seasons.
The College Station, Texas, native continues to pace the SEC in both assists (139) and assists per game (4.8) while ranking second in total steals (55).
Missouri, meanwhile, enters Wednesday’s contest coming off an 85-66 win over Mississippi State in Columbia on Saturday afternoon. The Tigers are 14-2 on their home court this season under third-year head coach Frank Martin, who served as Texas A&M’s associate head coach from 1996-97 under Aggie head coach Tony Barone.
The Tigers feature a talented roster that includes two of the SEC’s top scorers in guards Jabari Brown, who leads the league by averaging 20.1 points per contest, and Jordan Clarkson, who ranks seventh with an 18.4 point per game average.
Aggie Basketball Game #30:
Texas A&M (17-12, 8-8 SEC) at Missouri (20-9, 8-8 SEC)
March 5, 2014 · 7:00 p.m. (CT)
Mizzou Arena (15,061)
WEB STREAM: ESPN3 (For more info - aggieathletics.com/tv)
Mike Couzens, Play-by-Play
Kevin Lehman, Commentary
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Al Pulliam, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: aggieathletics.com
LIVE MOBILE LIVE STATS: tamustats.com
• With just two games remaining in the regular season the Aggies own a 17-12 overall record with an 8-8 mark in SEC play ... Left on the schedule is a trip to Columbia, Mo., for Wednesday’s road contest against Missouri and the regular season finale at Reed Arena on Saturday against Auburn.
• The all-time series between the former Big 12 Conference foes stands at 14-11 in favor of Missouri.
• Last season, the Aggies defeated No. 20 Missouri by the score of 70-68 at Reed Arena on Feb. 7 ... A&M got a team-high 17 points including a game-winning 3-pointer from Fabyon Harris with just 12 seconds left in the contest.
• With a nine-assist performance during the win over Ole Miss on Saturday, Alex Caruso became the 15th member of Texas A&M's 250-Assist Club and the eighth Aggie to reach the milestone in just two seasons ... The College Station, Texas, native continues to lead the SEC in both assists (139) and assists per game (4.8) while ranking second in total steals (55).
• On the defensive end, Texas A&M stands out as one of the stingiest teams in the SEC, ranking second in scoring defense by yielding just 62.5 points per contest and allowing opponents to shoot just 40.1 percent from the floor.
• Sophomore Antwan Space has stepped up his rebounding efforts recently as the DeSoto, Texas, native is averaging a team-leading 7.8 rebounds during his last four contests.
SERIES HISTORY VS. MISSOURI (MIZZOU LEADS 14-11)
• Wednesday will be the 26th meeting between the Aggies and Tigers, but the third as members of the SEC.
• A&M has won nine of the last 12 meetings between the schools ... Missouri snapped an eight-game skid against the Aggies with a pair of wins during the 2011-12 season.
• Last season, the two schools split a pair of meetings with A&M earning a 70-68 victory over the 20th-ranked Tigers in College Station on Feb. 7 ... Missouri avenged the loss with a 62-50 victory over the Aggies at the SEC Tournament in Nashville.
• In Columbia, Missouri leads the series 6-3 with a 3-1 mark inside Mizzou Arena.
The Aggies return home to Reed Arena for the last time this season on Saturday where they will host Auburn in the regular season finale ... The game is slated to tip-off at 3 p.m. and will be televised by SEC TV ... Prior to the game, the Texas A&M men's basketball program will honor its senior class.
MOBILE LIVE STATS
Fans can access official live statistics on their mobile devices of all Texas A&M basketball home games and select road games by visiting tamustats.com