COLLEGE STATION, TX -- Seeking a return to its winning ways, the Texas A&M men’s basketball team is back in action at Reed Arena Tuesday night when it hosts Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at 6 p.m.
FSN-Southwest will televise the contest with Ron Thulin and Jim Haller calling all the action from Aggieland. Every Texas A&M basketball game this season will be broadcast, marking a first in program history.
The Aggies enter the contest with a 7-2 record on the season and looking to improve on a history of outstanding success against non-conference foes at Reed Arena. A&M is 105-10 (.913) all-time and 5-0 this season inside the facility against non-league opponents.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, meanwhile, comes to Aggieland with a 1-6 mark this year and will be looking to snap a six-game losing skid that began after a season-opening victory over Texas Lutheran on Nov. 10.
Tuesday’s game also marks the third straight season the two schools have met on the hardwood at Reed Arena as the Aggies own a two-game winning streak in the series which they lead all-time by a count of 2-1.
A year ago, the Aggies were led by 14 points from Elston Turner in a 56-43 win over the Islanders which also featured a 13-point, eight-rebound performance by forward Ray Turner. Then-freshman Jordan Green also played a significant part in the victory, contributing 10 points with a game-high six assists.
HALF-PRICE HOLIDAY HOOPS
Don’t miss your chance to catch a great deal to see all the Aggie basketball action this holiday season with our Half-Price Holiday Hoops promotion.
Including in the promotion are upcoming men’s games against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Dec. 18), Southern (Dec. 22), Army (Dec. 29), Houston Baptist (Jan. 4) and Arkansas (Jan. 9). Additionally, women’s games against Prairie View A&M (Dec. 28), Rice (Jan. 1), Alabama (Jan. 3) and Auburn (Jan. 13) are also part of the promotion.
Visit the Reed Arena box office, the 12th Man Foundation's Ticket Center or call 1-(888)-992-4443 to purchase tickets or get more information.
• The Aggies kick off a five-game homestand on Tuesday by hosting Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at Reed Arena.
• Texas A&M has defeated its system sister school from the island each of the last two seasons and holds a 2-1 edge in the all-time series with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
• A&M senior guard Elton Turner enters Tuesday's contest leading the SEC in 3-point field goal percentage, shooting an impressive .456 from long range ... as a team, the Aggies lead the conference with a .387 team 3-point percentage.
• Tuesday's game is a part of A&M's "Half-Price Holiday Hoops" promotion and fans can purchase discounted tickets for the contest at the Reed Arena Box Office or by contacting the 12th Man Foundation at (888) 992-4443 or on-line at www.12thmanfoundation.com/ticket-center.
• As of Monday, Texas A&M ranked 14th nationally (second highest among SEC teams behind #7 Florida) in the Team RPI rankings of www.RealTimeRPI.com ... additionally, the site ranked the Aggies' strength of schedule as 10th in the country.
SCOUTING TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI
• Texas A&M-Corpus Christi returns seven letterwinners including two starters from last season's squad which went 6-24 overall with a 4-12 mark in Southland Conference play.
• The Islanders won their season-opener against Texas Lutheran 60-49 on Nov. 10 but have dropped six consecutive contests ... during their most recent outing on Sunday, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi fell 74-69 at South Alabama.
• Sophomore guard Johnathan Jordan leads the Islanders in scoring with a 13.7 point per game average, followed closely by junior forward Will Nelson, who contributes 13.0 points per contest and leads the team with a 6.1 rebounds per game average.
• The Islanders will be playing in their sixth road contest of the season and are looking for their first win away from the American Bank Center.
• Head coach Willis Wilson is in his second season at the helm of the Islander men's basketball program, holding a 7-30 record at the school and a 226-376 overall mark in 19 years as a head coach ... Wilson, the former head coach at Rice, is 5-7 all-time against Texas A&M.
REED ARENA SUCCESS
• A&M is 62-12 at Reed Arena since the start of the 2008-09 season with a 22-11 mark in conference games.
• The Aggies are 96-17 (.850) at home since the start of the 2006-07 season and are 129-22 (.854) since the start of the 2004-05 campaign.
• A&M has won 44 of its last 49 home games against unranked opponents (15 of last 19 in conference play).
• A&M is 170-63 (.730) in 14 seasons at Reed Arena ... the Aggies were 41-41 the first six years at Reed and are 125-22 since.
• Texas A&M are 5-0 in non-conference games at Reed Arena this season ... the Aggies are 105-10 (.913) all-time in non-conference games inside the facility, which hosted its first basketball game in the fall of 1998 ... a loss to Rice on Dec. 22, 2011, snapped A&M’s 67-game non-conference home win streak at Reed Arena (which dated back to the start of the 2005-06 season) and 80-game regular-season, non-conference home win streak (which dated back to 2003), both school records.
A FLASHBACK TO LAST SEASON’S MATCH-UP (TEXAS A&M 56, A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI 43)
Texas A&M and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi squared off at Reed Arena on Nov. 26, 2011, with the Aggies earning a 56-43 victory.
Elston Turner led the way for A&M with 14 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the floor including four 3-points baskets, while Ray Turner chipped in 13 points and a game-high eight rebounds.
Then-freshman Jordan Green notched his first career double-digit point contest as he chipped in 10 points with a game-best six assists.
The Aggies defense was stifling in the contest, limiting the Islanders to just 27.8 percent (15-of-54) from the floor. It marked the lowest shooting contest by an A&M opponent since Iowa State in the 2008 Big 12 Tournament (27.4 percent).
Aggie Basketball Game #10:
Texas A&M (7-2; 0-0 SEC) vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (1-6; 0-0 Southland)
December 18, 2012 · 6:00 p.m. (CT)
Reed Arena (12,989)
College Station, Texas
TV: FSN-Southwest (DirectTV - 676 / Dish Ntk – 416 or 5416)
Ron Thulin, Play-by-Play
Jim Haller, Commentary
-Check with your cable provider for channel number/availability in your area
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Al Pulliam, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: AggieAthletics.com
TICKETS: Available at the door or online at tickets.12thManFoundation.com
COMPLETE TEXAS A&M GAME NOTES