Aggies Set to Battle No. 21/20 Missouri at Reed Arena Thursday
Aggie Basketball Game #22:
Texas A&M (13-8; 3-5 SEC) vs Missouri (16-5; 5-3 SEC)
Feb. 7, 2013 · 8 p.m. (CT)
Reed Arena (12,989)
College Station, Texas
Rece Davis, Play-by-Play
Bob Knight, Commentary
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Al Pulliam, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
Satellite: Sirius (Ch. 92) / XM (Ch. 199)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: AggieAthletics.com
COMPLETE TEXAS A&M GAME NOTES: Game #22 - Missouri
COLLEGE STATION, Texas — The Texas A&M men’s basketball team will face a familiar foe in a new situation on Thursday night at 8 p.m. inside Reed Arena when it hosts Missouri for the first time as an SEC opponent.
The game will be televised nationally by ESPN2 with Rece Davis and Bob Knight calling all the action from Aggieland. Additional coverage will be provided by the Texas A&M Radio Network with fans able to stream live audio from the game on AggieAthletics.com or listen locally in Bryan/College Station on WTAW1620 AM.
The Aggies (13-8, 3-5 SEC) are coming off back-to-back overtime contests last week as they defeated Mississippi State 55-49 in Starkville on Wednesday before falling to defending national champion Kentucky 72-68 at Reed Arena Saturday.
Senior forward Ray Turner recorded his sixth career double-double during the match-up with Kentucky, finishing with 12 points and 11 rebounds. It was the second double-digit rebound performance of the season for the Houston native and the first since he pulled down 11 boards in a win at Houston on Dec. 1.
Junior guard Fabyon Harris continued his recent run of offensive consistency against UK, scoring 14 in the contest to reach double digits in points for the ninth time during his last 12 games. The Chicago native ranks second on the squad with a 13.1 scoring average during SEC play.
Senior guard Elston Turner, who exploded for 40 points during a January meeting with the Wildcats in Lexington, scored a game-high 21 against Kentucky to give the Sacramento, Calif., native 42 career double-digit scoring contests in 53 career games at Texas A&M.
Missouri, meanwhile, comes to College Station with a 16-5 overall record this season and a 5-3 mark in SEC play. Missouri head coach and former Texas A&M assistant Frank Haith is in his second season at the helm of the Tigers after spending the previous seven seasons as the head coach at Miami (Fla.).
The Tigers are coming off a 91-77 win over Auburn in Columbia, Mo., on Saturday and are led by Preseason All-SEC first-teamer and Dallas native Phil Pressey, who averages 12.1 points and seven assists per contest.
In addition to Pressey, four other Tigers average double digit points on the season, including senior forward Laurence Bowers who paces the team with a 16.1 point per game clip.
TEXAS A&M-MISSOURI SERIES NOTES
• Thursday will be the 24th meeting between the Aggies and Tigers, but the first as members of the SEC … Missouri leads the all-time series by the count of 13-10.
• A&M has won eight of the last 10 meetings between the schools ... Missouri snapped an eight-game skid against the Aggies with a pair of wins last season.
• The Aggies were swept by the Tigers in two meetings last year, falling 70-51 in Columbia, Mo., on Jan. 16, 2012, before dropping a 71-62 decision to the Tigers in College Station on Feb. 18, 2012.
• A&M has taken five of the eight meetings all-time inside Reed Arena.
• Texas A&M is coming off back-to-back overtime contests last week when it defeated Mississippi State 55-49 in Starkville on Wednesday before falling to defending national champion Kentucky 72-68 at Reed Arena Saturday ... It marked the first consecutive overtime games for A&M since the 2010-11 season when it needed extra time at home against Baylor and on the road at Colorado ... Texas A&M is 33-46 all-time in overtime games.
• Junior guard Fabyon Harris notched 14 points last time out against Kentucky to reach double-digits in points for the ninth time in the last 12 games ... During SEC play, Harris ranks second on the Aggies with a 13.1 point per game average.
• Against the Wildcats the Aggies were an impressive 18-of-19 as a team from the free throw line, led by senior guard Elston Turner who went a perfect 6-for-6 at the charity stripe en route to finishing with a game-high 21 points … The Aggies rank second in the SEC with a .705 team free throw shooting percentage.
TEXAS A&M-MISSOURI CONNECTIONS
• Missouri's Frank Haith - The Tigers’ floor general is no stranger to Texas A&M where he served as an assistant coach for one season (1996-97) under Tony Barone.
• A&M's Billy Kennedy - Texas A&M's Kennedy served as an assistant coach at Miami during the 2005-06 season under current Missouri, then- Miami head coach Frank Haith.
• Big 12 Conference - For both the Aggies and Tigers the 2012-13 campaign is one of new beginnings as they each make their inaugural run through the Southeastern Conference ... Prior to joining the SEC the two schools shared membership and played annually for 16 seasons in the Big 12 Conference from 1997-2012.