KANSAS CITY, MO -- Dwayne Evans matched a career high with 21 points, Mike McCall Jr. added 13 and Saint Louis rolled to a 70-49 victory over Texas A&M on Monday night in the semifinals of the CBE Classic.
Cory Remekin added 13 points and Cody Ellis finished with 10 for the Billikens (2-1), who will play No. 12 Kansas or Washington State in the championship game Tuesday night.
The Billikens, who were stunned by Santa Clara last week, bounced back nicely against an Aggies squad expected to fare well in the SEC this season. Meanwhile, Texas A&M (3-1) struggled from the foul line and was dominated on the boards in a game that was never very close.
Elston Turner had 16 points and Ray Turner added 10 for the Aggies, but Fabyon Harris was just 2 for 10 from the field and Texas A&M committed 19 turnovers while getting out-rebounded 31-25.
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M saw its season-opening winning streak snapped at three games and fell to 3-1 on the year … Saint Louis, meanwhile, improved to 2-1 on the season.
● The Billikens improved to 5-1 in the all-time series against Texas A&M in men’s basketball.
● The Aggies were guilty of a season-high 19 turnovers on the night, leading to 26 Billiken points.
● Texas A&M came into the game ranked second in the SEC in free throw percentage at .822 as a team but shot just 8-of-18 from the charity stripe in Monday night’s contest.
● Saint Louis held a 31-25 advantage in the rebounding column.
● Senior Elston Turner led the Aggies in scoring for the 14th time in his career, notching 16 points on 5-of-12 shooting from the floor … Turner also pulled down five rebounds in the contest to tie for the team lead with sophomore Kourtney Roberson, who also collected five.
● Senior Ray Turner scored 10 points in the game, giving him the 19th double-figure scoring game of his A&M career.
● Fellow senior Jarod Jahns set career highs in minutes played (6), points (6), rebounds (2) and assists (1).
FIRST HALF NOTES
● The Billikens took a 32-23 lead into the intermission.
● Texas A&M shot .417 (10-of-24) during the opening period while SLU shot .393 (11-of-28) from the floor.
● SLU’s Cory Remekun led all scorers with nine points at the break, while Ray Turner made all three of his first half shots to pace Texas A&M with seven points.
● The Aggies were guilty of seven first half turnovers, leading to a 12-2 Billiken advantage in points off turnovers.
SECOND HALF NOTES
● The Saint Louis lead reached its apex at the 4:14 mark of the second half as it took a 65-41 advantage.
● Texas A&M shot .474 (9-of-19) during the second period while SLU shot a sizzling .667 (14-of-21).
● Elston Turner scored 10 of his 16 points after intermission.
● The Aggies return to the court at the Sprint Center on Tuesday to face the loser of tonight’s Kansas-Washington State contest. Tip-off is set for 6:00 p.m. and the game will be streamed live on ESPN3.
● Saint Louis, meanwhile, will face the winner of the Kansas-Washington State contest on ESPNU at 8:30 p.m.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.