COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - Earnest Ross converted two free throws with 7.3 seconds remaining to give Missouri its first lead of the night and help the Tigers survive a scare from Texas A&M with a 57-56 win on Wednesday night.
Ross, honored before the game for Senior Night, only scored five points before hitting his game-winning shots. With 2.2 ticks left, Ross broke up a pass from Texas A&M's Alex Caruso's inbounds pass, and the Aggies couldn't put up another attempt.
Jabari Brown scored 20 points for Missouri (21-9, 9-8 SEC), which overcame 26.9 percent shooting in the first half and trailed by no more than four points during the final 10 minutes, but never caught Texas A&M until the final seconds.
Jamal Jones led the Aggies (17-13, 8-9) with 16 points, but committed a turnover with 17.4 seconds remaining and missed the front-end of a 1-and-1 with 8.1 seconds left.
Texas A&M Basketball
Missouri 57, Texas A&M 56
March 5, 2014 ● Mizzou Arena
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M fell to 17-13 on the season with an 8-9 record in the SEC after the 57-56 loss to Missouri on Wednesday night at Mizzou Arena.
● The all-time series between the schools now stands at 15-11 in favor of Missouri.
● The A&M defense forced 17 Missouri turnovers and limited the Tigers to a .340 shooting percentage, their third worst shooting night of the season.
● The Aggies, meanwhile, shot 44 percent for the game (22-of-50) with a 32-22 edge in points in the paint.
● At the free throw line, Missouri made 24-of-30 attempts (80%) while A&M was 7-of-10.
● Texas A&M owned a 30-20 lead at the intermission.
● The Maroon & White used the starting line-up combination of Alex Caruso, Jordan Green, Jamal Jones, Antwan Space and Kourtney Roberson for the third time this season.
● Junior Jamal Jones led the Aggies in scoring with 16 points, making 6-of-16 shot attempts including three from beyond the 3-point arc … It stands as the 17th time this season he has paced the team in scoring.
● Sophomore Alex Caruso and junior Kourtney Roberson also finished in double-digit scoring with 13 and 10 points, respectively ... Caruso dished out a game-high four assists while Roberson led all rebounders with nine.
● A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is now 49-46 in his third season at Texas A&M and 260-225 in 16 years as a head coach.
● The Aggies return home to Reed Arena for the last time this season on Saturday where they will host Auburn in the regular season finale ... The game is slated to tip-off at 3 p.m. and will be televised by SEC TV ... Prior to the game, the Texas A&M men's basketball program will honor its senior class.