Antwan Space sank a 3-pointer in overtime to lift Texas A&M to a 68-65 win over Tennessee on Saturday.
With the game tied at 65 in OT, Space got the ball with 8 seconds remaining, dribbled a couple of times and calmly sank the winning shot. Then, following the inbound pass, Space stole the ball from Tennessee in preserving the win.
Tennessee (16-11, 7-7 Southeastern Conference) had erased an eight-point deficit with 3:20 remaining in regulation, but Jarnell Stokes missed the back end of two free throws as time expired that would have won the game for the Volunteers.
Texas A&M (16-11, 7-7) swept the regular-season series from the Volunteers, after winning 57-56 on Jan. 11, also on a last-second 3-pointer by Space.
Alex Caruso and Jamal Jones each scored 14 points for the Aggies.
Jordan McRae led Tennessee with 20, while Stokes added 16 points and 16 rebounds.
Texas A&M Basketball
Texas A&M 68, Tennessee 65 (OT)
February 22, 2014 ● Reed Arena
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M improved to 16-11 on the season with a 7-7 SEC record after a thrilling 68-65 overtime victory against Tennessee on Saturday afternoon in Reed Arena.
● The Aggies have matched their SEC win total from a year ago with four games left to play in the regular season.
● Additionally, Texas A&M improved to 15-2 on its home court this season.
● In overtime games, the Aggies are 1-2 this year and 34-49 all-time in the extra session.
● The series between the schools now stands at 5-3 in favor of Tennessee, but the Aggies have taken both of the two meetings with the Volunteers this season.
● Texas A&M held a 21-2 edge in bench points, with the Volunteer reserves not scoring until Antonio Barton converted two free throws with just 16 seconds remaining in the overtime session.
● A&M also benefited from 14 UT turnovers which led to 14 points for the Aggies.
● For the game, the Aggies shot 47.3 percent (26-of-55) from the field while the Volunteers owned a 42.6 percent (23-of-54).
● A&M headed into the intermission down 27-24 but after the break, the Aggies outscored Tennessee 35-32 in the second half and 9-6 overtime … During the second half and overtime, A&M shot a blistering 16-for-27 (59.3%).
● The Maroon & White used the starting line-up combination of Alex Caruso, Shawn Smith, Antwan Space Green, Jamal Jones and Kourtney Roberson for the fifth time this season.
● Sophomore Antwan Space once again proved to be a Tennessee killer as he buried the game-winning 3-pointer with just 2.4 seconds remaining in overtime … The DeSoto, Texas, native added seven boards and two steals.
● Earlier this season on Jan. 11, it was Space who delivered a game-winning 3-pointer with 4.4 seconds left on the clock during a 57-56 Aggie in Knoxville.
● Junior Jamal Jones enjoyed his sixth straight game in double-figure scoring, contributing 14 in the win.
● Senior Fabyon Harris provided a huge spark off the bench with 13 points, going 3-for-3 from beyond the 3-point arc.
● Sophomore Alex Caruso chipped in with 14 points for the second straight contest as he converted 6-of-9 (66.6%) shot attempts from the floor while also dishing out a game-high seven assists.
● A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is now 48-44 in his third season at Texas A&M and 259-223 in 16 years as a head coach.
● The Aggies are back on the road next week when they pay a visit to the Maravich Center in Baton Rouge, La., to battle LSU on Wednesday ... The game is slated to tip-off at 7 p.m. and will be televised by SEC TV (The CW8 Aggieland).
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.