KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Antwan Space hit a 3-pointer with seven seconds left to lift Texas A&M to a 57-56 victory over Tennessee in Knoxville Saturday night.
The Aggies (11-4, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) trailed by as much as 14 points in the first half, and never led in the second half until the final basket.
Texas A&M didn't make a field goal the last 9:34 of the first half and Tennessee led 32-18 at halftime.
Jamal Jones led the Texas A&M rally, scoring 20 of his 23 points in the second half and finishing the game 5 of 10 from 3-point range. Alex Caruso had 12 points for the Aggies.
Antonio Barton led Tennessee (10-5, 1-1) with 12 points. Josh Richardson scored 11. Jordan McRae, the Southeastern Conference's third-leading scorer entering the game, tied his season-low of nine points. Jarnell Stokes finished with just six points for Tennessee, all in the first half.
Texas A&M Basketball
Texas A&M 57, Tennessee 56
Jan. 11, 2014 ● Reed Arena
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M improved to 11-4 on the season and 2-0 in SEC play with the 57-56 road win over Tennessee at Thompson Boling Arena Saturday evening.
● The Aggies have opened SEC play 2-0 for the second straight season.
● The all-time series between the schools stands at 5-2 in favor of the Volunteers.
● The Aggies were lethal from the field during the second half, shooting 53.8 percent after halftime (14-of-26) … Following the intermission, the Aggies held a 39-24 scoring edge.
● The Aggies held a 20-9 advantage in points off turnovers as the Vols were guilty of 16 give-a-ways in the contest … A&M committed only eight turnovers.
● From beyond the 3-point arc, Texas A&M was 8-for-15 (53.3%) during the win.
● The Maroon & White used the starting line-up combination of Alex Caruso, Jordan Green, Fabyon Harris, Jamal Jones and Kourtney Roberson for the third time this season.
● The Volunteers owned a 32-18 lead at the intermission after shooting 40 percent (10-of-24) during the opening period … The Aggies, meanwhile, shot 24 percent prior to halftime (6-of-24).
● Sophomore Antwan Space took only two shots in the contest but they were huge in the winning effort as they were both second half 3-point baskets, the last being the game-winner with just four seconds left in the contest.
● Junior Jamal Jones led the Aggies in scoring with 23 points on 8 –of-19 shooting, including 20 in the second half.
● Sophomore Alex Caruso dished out eight assist in the contest after entering the weekend leading the SEC in both total assists and assists per game … The College Station, Texas, native also added 12 points and four steals.
● A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is now 43-37 in his third season at Texas A&M and 254-216 in 16 years as a head coach.
● The Aggies return home to College Station to host South Carolina at Reed Arena on Wednesday (Jan. 15) ... The game is set to tip-off at 7 p.m. and will be televised by SEC TV.