URBANA, Illinois -- The Texas A&M women's tennis team rallied from being down 3-0 to tie the NCAA National Championship Match against Stanford, but couldn't pick up a win number 2 singles and lose it 4-3.
After losing the doubles point to Stanford and being down 3-0. Aggie freshman Anna Mamalat posted a 6-1, 7-5 win to put the Aggies on the board. Nazari Urbina then posted a 6-3, 7-6 win to pull Texas A&M within a point of Stanford.
At number 6 singles Sefania Hristov wins her 3rd set against Natalie Dillon 6-1 to even the match at 3.
That means the national championship hangs in the balance between Texas A&M's Cristina Stancu and Stanford's Kristie Ahn. After losing the first set 7-5, Stancu takes the second 6-4. She was down 5-2 in the third set and fought off 2 National Championship points, but couldn't survive the third. Ahn wins the match 6-2 and Stanford wins the 2013 NCAA Women's National Championship.
It's the 17th National Championship for the Stanford Women's Tennis Team.
Coming into this season the Texas A&M Women's Tennis Team had only advanced to the "Sweet Sixteen" twice and this year they made history by advancing to not only the Elite Eight for the first time in program history, but also the Final Four, and tonight's National Championship Match.
1. #13 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) def. #4 Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (TAMU), 0-6, 6-2, 6-0
2. #25 Kristie Ahn (STAN) def. #68 Cristina Stancu (TAMU), 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
3. #52 Nazari Urbina (TAMU) def. #14 Krista Hardebeck (STAN), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
4. #103 Stacey Tan (STAN) def. Ines Deheza (TAMU), 7-5, 6-3
5. Anna Mamalat (TAMU) def. #92 Ellen Tsay (STAN), 6-1, 7-5
6. Stefania Hristov (TAMU) def. Natalie Dillon (STAN), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
Doubles (Stanford wins the point)
1. #18 Hristov/Stancu (TAMU) def. #8 Ahn/Gibbs (STAN), 8-3
2. #28 Tan/Tsay (STAN) def. #49 Sanchez-Quintanar/Wen Sun (TAMU), 8-4
3. Dillon/ Hardebeck (STAN) def. I. Deheza/Paula Deheza (TAMU), 8-5
Order of finish
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 4, 1, 5, 3, 6, 2
Texas A&M: 26-4