2013 AGGIE FOOTBALL
Postgame Notes vs. UTEP
UTEP at No. 12 Texas A&M + Kyle Field, College Station, Texas + Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013
ABOUT THE WIN...
• It was the 699th victory in program history. The Aggies will seek to become the 18th team in FBS history to reach 700 victories.
• The Aggies improve to 7-2 overall.
• A&M eclipsed the 50-point mark for the ninth time in 22 games under Coach Sumlin, including four times in 2013.
Defending Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel accounted for six touchdowns with four passing TDs and two rushing scores. He completed 16-of-24 passes for 273 yards and rushed for 67 yards on seven carries before exiting the game in the third quarter.
• Manziel’s six TDs matched his career high for TD responsibility.
• It was the ninth time that Manziel has generated at least three passing TDs and at least one rushing TD in a game.
• It was his eighth game with two or more rushing and passing TDs in a game.
• His third-quarter 49-yard TD run was the team’s longest rush of the season.
• It was the 19th time in 22 career games that Manziel generated 300 or more total yards.
• Manziel passed Kevin Murray for sole possession of No. 2 in career touchdowns with 54. He’s chasing Jerrod Johnson’s record of 67 touchdowns from 2007-10.
Evans Matches Fuller
Sophomore Biletnikoff Award candidate Mike Evans matched Jeff Fuller’s school record for season receiving TDs in just nine games with his 12th TD grab of the season.
• Evans finished the night with four catches for 46 yards with one touchdown.
• His TD catch was a 26-yarder from Johnny Manziel, marking the 20th time in 22 games that Evans has at least one 20-yard catch.
offensive notables ...
• With 57 points vs. UTEP, the Aggies have now scored 40 or more points in 12 straight games, which is the longest active streak in the FBS.
• The Aggies generated 564 yards against UTEP, marking the eighth straight game with 500 or more total yards, which is the longest active streak in FBS.
• It was A&M’s 21st straight game with 400 or more yards, which is the nation’s second-longest streak.
• The Aggies eclipsed the 400-point plateau for season points scored in the ninth game of the season for the second straight year. It’s the fifth straight season and the ninth time in program history that the Aggies have hit 400 points in a season.
• The Aggies current pace of total offense (582.6) is ahead of the school record of 558.5 set last season. The Aggies have 5,243 yards through nine games.
Another strong defensive effort
• The Aggies held UTEP to 198 yards of total offense, the first time they’ve held an opponent under 200 yards since limiting Kansas to 197 in a 61-7 win on Nov. 19, 2011.
• The Aggies held UTEP to 71 passing yards, the first time they have held an opponent under 100 yards since limiting LSU to 97 yards on Oct. 20, 2012. That game also marked the last time A&M had three INTs in a game. The 71 passing yards was the fewest by an A&M opponent since the Aggies limited Army to 4 yards on Sept. 27, 2008.
• After forcing 11 turnovers in the first seven games, the Aggies have forced eight turnovers in the last two games, including three INTs and one fumble against UTEP.
• Floyd Raven’s punt block on UTEP’s opening offensive was the Aggies’ first since K.J. Williams blocked one against Texas in 2008. The blocked boot rolled through the endzone for a safety, which was the first scored by the Aggies since Oklahoma State ran out the back of the endzone to protect their 2011 victory at Kyle Field.
• The safety caused by Raven’s block put the Aggies on the scoreboard first for the eighth straight game and for the 21st time in 22 games under head coach Kevin Sumlin.
• The Aggies had a three-and-out on their opening offensive series, breaking a streak of seven games with a TD on their first drive of the game. It was A&M’s first three-and-out on the opening offensive series in 19 games.
• The Aggie defense forced a punt (blocked by Raven) on UTEP’s opening series. It marked the 15 times that the Aggies have forced a punt, a turnover or a turnover on downs in 22 games with Mark Snyder as defensive coordinator.
• Senior WR Travis Labhart had a career-high two touchdowns.
12th MAN, POLO, CAPTAINS, COIN TOSS
• For the ninth straight game, sophomore defensive back Sam Moeller was the 12th Man.
• Wearing the #90 jersey in memory of fallen teammate Polo Manukainiu was redshirt freshman Tyrone Taylor (normally wears #50). Manukainiu died in a tragic car accident last summer.
• The Aggies’ team captain representatives at the coin toss were seniors Ben Malena, Toney Hurd Jr. and Jake Matthews and junior Mike Evans. UTEP won the toss and elected to receive.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.