LEXINGTON, Kentucky -- The Texas A&M men's basketball team beat Kentucky 83-71 Saturday afternoon at Rupp Arena. The Aggies are now 2-0 in Southeastern Conference play. Below are the postgame notes.
Texas A&M Men’s Basketball
Texas A&M 83, Kentucky 71
Jan. 12, 2013 ● Rupp Arena
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● With the win, Texas A&M improved to 11-3 this season and 2-0 in SEC play.
● The all-time series is now tied, 2-2 … the Aggies have won the last two meetings with the Wildcats in Rupp including a 73-69 win on Dec. 22, 1978 … both wins have come while UK was the defending national champions.
● Texas A&M became the first team to hand John Calipari a home conference loss at Kentucky … the Wildcats saw their 24-game home SEC win streak snapped.
● Texas A&M trailed 62-58 with 6:12 to play … over the remainder of the game, the Aggies went on a 25-9 run to close out the Wildcats.
● The Aggies did a great job protecting the ball, turning the ball over just 10 times while dishing out 15 assists.
● Texas A&M shot 53 percent from the floor by converting 31-of-59 shot attempts … the Wildcats, meanwhile, made 24-of-56 shot attempts to end play with a 42.9 percent shooting mark.
● A&M won the battle on the glass, out-rebounding UK 35-30.
● A&M made 12-of-18 free throw attempts in the contest (66.7 percent).
● The Aggies are 11-0 this season when leading at the half.
● The 83 points was the most for the Aggies in a conference game since a 91-89 overtime victory over Missouri on Jan. 15, 2011 … It was also the most points in a road conference game since 86 in an overtime loss at Texas in 2007.
● A&M is now 5-2 all time in games played at Rupp Arena. The Aggies last visited Lexington for the 1986 Kentucky Invitational, falling to Boston University, 65-63, in the first round then bouncing back to clip Iona, 67-60, in the consolation game. A&M upset No. 11-ranked Kentucky, 73-69, in the first round of the 1978 Kentucky Invitational then fell to Illinois, 71-57, in the title game.
● Senior guard Elston Turner posted the first 40-point game by an Aggie since 1985 (28 years) … it was the 10th 40-point game in program history … the last came from Don Marbury (41 at Baylor, Jan. 5, 1985).
40-POINT GAMES, TEXAS A&M HISTORY (10)
53 Bennie Lenox vs Wyoming (1963)
44 John Beasley at Arkansas (1966)
43 John Beasley at Baylor (1965)
43 John Beasley at Baylor (1966)
42 Randy Knowles vs Arkansas (1973)
41 Don Marbury at Baylor (1985)
40 Elston Turner at Kentucky (2013)
40 John Beasley vs TCU (1966)
40 John Beasley vs Texas (1965)
● Turner led the Aggies in scoring with his career-high 40, marking the 20th time in the last two seasons he’s stood out as A&M’s high-point man.
● Turner also extend his streak of double-digit scoring games to 15 … The Sacramento, Calif, native leads the Aggies in scoring this season with a 17.1 point per game average.
● Junior guard Fabyon Harris scored 14 points on 4-of-7 shooting … it was the fifth time in the last six games the Chicago native has hit double figures in points.
● Turner and sophomore Jordan Green paced A&M with four assists apiece.
● Junior Kourtney Roberson finished the day with 10 points and nine boards, one rebound shy of his second straight double-double.
● Senior Jarod Jahns played a career-high 30 minutes in the win.
● A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is now 26-21 in his second season at Texas A&M and 237-200 in 15 years as a head coach.
FIRST HALF NOTES
● Texas A&M led 36-31 after 20 minutes of play
● Elston Turner scored 25 first half points, trying his career-best before intermission … During the first Turner was 10-of-13 from the floor, including a 3-of-6 mark from 3-point range.
● The Aggies shot 46.7 percent (14-of-30) for the half… compared to 44 percent (11-of-25) for theWildcats.
● Texas owned a 17-13 advantage in the rebounding column.
SECOND HALF NOTES
● The Aggies outscored the Wildcats 47-40 during the second half, including a decisive 25-9 run to end the game.
● A&M was an impressive 58.6 percent from the floor in the half (17-of-29), with 22 of 47 points coming in the paint.
● The Aggies were 5-of-7 from behind the arc in the second half.
● Elston Turner led the Aggies with 15 points after halftime, while UK’s Nerlens Noel led Kentucky with 6 points, 7 rebounds and 4 second-half blocks.
● The Aggie return to College Station to host No. 9 Florida on Thursday … The game will be televised by ESPN2.
● Kentucky will host Tennessee on Tuesday inside Rupp Arena.