DALLAS (AP) - For the second straight year, the Texas Associated Press Sports Editors player of the year in high school football is the son of a former major league pitcher.
Patrick Mahomes of Whitehouse was named the state's top player by the AP on Friday after throwing for 3,587 yards with 41 touchdowns and four interceptions during the regular season.
Mahomes, the son of former major leaguer Pat Mahomes, was chosen by a panel of journalists who cover high school football in Texas. He was eligible for the honor after being named the offensive player of the year on the Class 4A all-state team.
Last year, Kenny Hill of Southlake Carroll won the award. His father is Ken Hill, who like Mahomes had a stint with the Texas Rangers.
Winners of the Texas Associated Press Sports Editors player of the year award:
- 2013: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Whitehouse
- 2012: Kenny Hill, QB, Southlake Carroll
- 2011: Johnathan Gray, RB, Aledo
- 2010: Johnny Manziel, QB, Kerrville Tivy
- 2009: Scotty Young, QB, Denton Ryan
- 2008: Garrett Gilbert, QB, Lake Travis
- 2007: Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Rosenberg Lamar