National Sports Headlines
Cespedes hits 2 HRs, A's hold off Astros 9-7
- Yoenis Cespedes homered twice and tied a career high with five RBIs before leaving with an apparent right thumb injury, and the Oakland Athletics held off the Houston Astros 9-7 on Wednesday night.
Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from Rangers
- The first-place Detroit Tigers have reinforced the back end of their shaky bullpen, acquiring closer Joakim Soria from the Texas Rangers for minor league pitchers Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel.
Jerry Jones: Garrett not coaching for job
- Jerry Jones doesn't like to repeat his good sound bites, so he found a new way to say Jason Garrett isn't coaching for his job.
Browns coach expects Johnny to be good
- Browns coach Mike Pettine says he's not worried about rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel's off-field behavior carrying into the football season.
Yankees top Rangers 2-1 in rain-shortened game
- Brett Gardner hit a tiebreaking homer off All-Star ace Yu Darvish, and the New York Yankees beat the Texas Rangers 2-1 Wednesday night in a rain-shortened game called in the fifth inning under bizarre circumstances.
Browns sign rookie cornerback Justin Gilbert
- The Browns have signed rookie cornerback Justin Gilbert, one of their first-round draft picks, to a four-year, $12.8 million contract.
Broncos owner giving up control due to Alzheimer's
- Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is giving up control of the team as he battles Alzheimer's disease. The team announced Wednesday that the 70-year-old Bowlen will no longer be a part of the team's daily operations. Team president Joe Ellis will take over after being named as the Broncos' chief executive officer.
LeBron apologizes to neighbors, sends cupcakes
- LeBron James has sent cupcakes to his neighbors to apologize for the ruckus caused by the announcement of his homecoming earlier this month.
Former Cowboys RB Newhouse dies at 64
- Robert Newhouse, who played running back for the Dallas Cowboys for 12 seasons and went to three Super Bowls, has died. He was 64.
Astros Outlast Athletics 3-2 in 12 Innings Thanks to Hoes Homer
- L.J. Hoes homered with one out in the top of the 12th, and the Houston Astros beat the Oakland Athletics 3-2 on Tuesday night for their first win in four tries at the Coliseum this year.
Headley wins it in 14th inning of Yankees debut
- Chase Headley came through with a storybook swing at the stroke of midnight in his Yankees debut, hitting a game-winning single in the 14th inning to give New York a 2-1 victory over the Texas Rangers on Tuesday night.
TCU's Fields investigated for alleged assault
- TCU has suspended defensive end Devonte Fields pending results of a police investigation into whether he punched a former girlfriend in the head and threatened her with a gun.
Rivers Says He'll Quit If Sterling Remains Clippers Owner
- Los Angeles Clippers interim CEO Richard Parsons says coach Doc Rivers has told him he'll quit if Donald Sterling remains owner of the team.
Mikolas pitches Rangers past sloppy Yankees 4-2
- Miles Mikolas earned his first win as a starter, pitching into the eighth inning Monday night and leading the Texas Rangers to a 4-2 victory over the sloppy New York Yankees.
NFL's top-selling jersey belongs to Manziel
- Johnny Manziel is No. 2 on Cleveland's depth chart but No. 1 as the NFL's top-selling jersey.
More National Sports Headlines