IRVING, Texas (AP) - A different sense of anticipation is
surrounding the Dallas Cowboys this week.
Stark reality can quickly replace the rosy optimism that only
got fueled by decisive preseason victories.
Heading into Wade Phillips' real debut at home Sunday night
against NFC East rival New York Giants, there are already a few
- There are missing pieces on defense, with the status of
starters cornerback Terence Newman (right heel) and linebacker Greg
Ellis (Achilles' tendon) uncertain for the opener and maybe longer.
Backup linebacker Kevin Burnett (ankle) is also hurt.
- Add to Newman's uncertainty the unexpected release of veteran
Aaron Glenn, and the Cowboys have big questions at cornerback.
- Glenn's departure not only eliminated a nickel corner, but
took away a 14-year pro and locker room leader who didn't fit
- Quarterback Tony Romo goes into the season without one of his
primary coaches, with new quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson serving a
five-game NFL suspension.
- Terry Glenn didn't play any preseason games in Garrett's
offense after arthroscopic surgery last month to remove loose
cartilage from his knee.