COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) -- Forwards Kourtney Roberson and Antwan Space enjoyed double-double performances as Texas A&M earned a 59-43 victory over Wyoming on Wednesday night during the opening-round the College Basketball Invitational at Reed Arena.
The Aggies (18-15) raced out to a 21-4 advantage in the contest’s opening 10 minutes and never trailed as they improved to 17-3 at Reed Arena this season. The stifling A&M defense limited the Cowboys to just 43 points and a 29.8 shooting percentage, both season lows by a Texas A&M opponent this season.
Roberson led all scorers with 14 points in the contest, finishing 7-of-10 from the field, while sophomore guard Alex Caruso dished out 10 assists to produce his third game of double-digit dimes this season.
Wyoming (18-15) was led in scoring by senior Jerron Granberry, who finished with 10 points.
Texas A&M, which enjoyed a 41-27 advantage in the rebounding column, advanced to the CBI quarterfinals where it will face Illinois State in Normal, Ill., on Monday night.
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M improved to 18-15 on the season following a 59-43 victory against Wyoming Wednesday evening at Reed Arena during the first round of the College Basketball Invitational.
● The Aggies are 17-3 on their home court this season.
● Wednesday’s meeting was the fifth all-time between the Aggies and Cowboys and the second in postseason action as they previously faced off during the 1986 NIT … The all-time series between the schools stands in favor of A&M at 4-1.
● The Aggie defense held Wyoming to just 43 points on the night, marking the lowest point total for an A&M opponent all season … Additionally, the Cowboys shot just 29.8 percent from the field, also the lowest by an A&M opponent this year.
● For the first time this season A&M had two players, Kourtney Roberson and Antwan Space, record a double-double in a contest.
● The Aggies outrebounded the Cowboys 41-27 to produce their biggest positive rebounding margin in a game this season.
● A&M headed into the intermission leading Wyoming 32-16 ... Following the break, A&M and Wyoming both scored 27 points to finish out the contest.
● The Maroon & White used the starting line-up combination of Alex Caruso, Jordan Green, Antwan Space Green, Jamal Jones and Kourtney Roberson for the fifth time this season.
● Sophomore Antwan Space recorded his first career double-double by contributing 11 points to go along with 11 boards.
● Junior Kourtney Roberson shot 7-for-10 (70%) from the floor to lead all scorers with 14 points to go along with 10 boards for his seventh career double-double.
● Sophomore Alex Caruso’s game-high 10 assists gave him 164 on the year, a figure that stands out as the eighth most in a season by an A&M player, and moved him into 13th on the program’s all-time career assist list with 276.
● Senior Fabyon Harris also contributed 11 points in the game by pouring in three long balls from beyond the arc.
● A&M head coach Billy Kennedy is now 50-48 in his third season at Texas A&M and 261-227 in 16 years as a head coach. This is his first win in his career against Wyoming.
● The Aggies move on to the quarterfinals of CBI where they will face Illinois State in Normal, Ill., on Monday, March 24th.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.