National Sports Headlines
Royals beats Giants 7-2, even World Series 1-all
- Billy Butler hit a tiebreaking single, Salvador Perez and Omar Infante drove in two runs each with big hits in a five-run sixth inning, and the Kansas City Royals beat the San Francisco Giants 7-2 Wednesday night to even the World Series at one game apiece.
Bumgarner, Pence lead Giants over Royals 7-1
- Madison Bumganer took a two-hit shutout into the seventh inning, Hunter Pence hit a two-run homer off James Shields in a three-run first and the San Francisco Giants beat the Kansas City Royals 7-1 in Tuesday night's World Series opener.
Steelers rally past stunned Texans 30-23
- Ben Roethlisberger passed for two touchdowns and wide receiver Antonio Brown added another on a gadget play during a dizzying stretch late in the first half, helping the Pittsburgh Steelers rally for a 30-23 win over the mistake-prone Houston Texans on Monday night.
Cowboys release Michael Sam from practice squad
- The Dallas Cowboys have released Michael Sam from the practice squad, another setback as the NFL's first openly gay player tries to make an active roster during the regular season for the first time.
Clowney sits again as Texans visit Steelers
- Rookie linebacker Jadeveon Clowney will miss his sixth straight game on Monday night when the Houston Texans play the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Garrett shuns contract talk with hot Dallas start
- Dallas coach Jason Garrett says he isn't thinking about a contract extension with the Cowboys off to their best start since 2007.
Prairie View beats MVSU 52-19
- Jerry Lovelocke threw three touchdowns in Prairie View's 52-19 rout of Mississippi Valley State on Saturday.
Dolphins QB Tannehill probable against Bears
- Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill is probable for Sunday's game at Chicago because of an ankle injury that briefly limited him in practice this week.
Clowney back at practice, hopes to play Monday
- No. 1 overall draft pick Jadeveon Clowney has returned to practice and hopes to play on Monday night when Houston meets the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Brady threw 3 TD passes, Patriots beat Jets 27-25
- Tom Brady threw three touchdown passes and the New England Patriots held off the New York Jets 27-25 when Nick Folk's 58-yard field goal attempt was blocked on the last play Thursday night.
Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series
- Travis Ishikawa hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning, sending the San Francisco Giants to the World Series with a 6-3 win over the St. Louis Cardinals on Thursday night.
Kevin Harvick at ease headed into tense Talladega
- Kevin Harvick is already guaranteed a spot in the third round of NASCAR's playoffs, so he has no reason to race hard Sunday at Talladega Superspeedway.
Rangers hire Pirates' Jeff Banister as new manager
- The Texas Rangers have hired Pittsburgh Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister as their new manager. Banister got the nod over two other finalists, interim manager Tim Bogar and Cleveland Indians bullpen coach Kevin Cash.
Royals hold off Orioles 2-1, finish ALCS sweep
- With more dominant defense, an opportunistic offense that plated two runs in the first inning and a bullpen that shut down the Baltimore Orioles once again, Greg Holland and the Kansas City Royals wrapped up a sweep of the AL Championship Series with a 2-1 victory on Wednesday.
Giants beat Cardinals 6-4, move 1 win from Series
- Buster Posey drove in three runs and the San Francisco Giants took advantage of some clunky defense by St. Louis first baseman Matt Adams, beating the Cardinals 6-4 on Wednesday night to move within one victory of the World Series.
More National Sports Headlines