National Sports Headlines
Carter hits 3-run HR in 9th, Astros top Yanks 7-4
- Chris Carter snapped a ninth-inning tie with a colossal three-run homer, extending his second-half power surge and sending the Houston Astros to a 7-4 victory over the New York Yankees on Tuesday night.
Chicago beats Pearland, Texas, 6-1 in LLWS
- Joshua Houston struck out five in five innings, and Chicago's Jackie Robinson West beat Pearland, Texas, 6-1, in an elimination game in the Little League World Series on Tuesday night.
Browns not ready to name starting quarterback
- Browns coach Mike Pettine has not picked his starting quarterback. Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel haven't convinced him they deserve the job.
Peyton Manning: 'Our offense stunk today' in practice vs Texans
- Peyton Manning was disgusted with the Denver Broncos offense after the first of three practices with the Houston Texans.
Manziel Struggles in Browns' Loss to Redskins
- Johnny Manziel struggled to hit open receivers and added another gesture to his repertoire - a middle finger apparently aimed at the opponents' bench - in the Cleveland Browns' 24-23 loss to the Washington Redskins on Monday night.
Cowboys facing uncertainty with shaky defense
- The Dallas defense is still missing starters halfway through the preseason and will lose cornerback Orlando Scandrick for the first four games of the regular season because of a drug suspension.
Chris Carter Named A.L. Player of the Week
- Major League Baseball announced this afternoon that Houston Astros infielder/outfielder Chris Carter has been named the American League Player of the Week for the week of Aug. 11-17.
Captain of the Corn Maze: Farm Honors Derek Jeter
- As far as corny Derek Jeter tributes go, this one will be tough to beat.
Rangers Rally for 2 Runs in 9th, Beat Angels
- Adam Rosales and Mike Carp hit RBI singles in the ninth inning off Angels closer Huston Street, rallying the Texas Rangers over Los Angeles 3-2 Sunday.
Gordon Races to First Win at Michigan Since 2001
- Jeff Gordon raced to his third NASCAR Sprint Cup victory of the year, holding off Kevin Harvick on Sunday for his first win at Michigan International Speedway since 2001.
Altuve's Slam Lifts Astros Over Red Sox
- Jose Altuve hit his first grand slam after Boston shortstop Xander Bogaerts made a mental gaffe on a play that would have ended an inning Sunday, carrying the Houston Astros to an 8-1 victory over the Red Sox.
Clowney makes impact in Texans' 32-7 win
- Jadeveon Clowney made big hits behind the line on consecutive plays and Ryan Fitzpatrick threw a touchdown pass to DeVier Posey in the Houston Texans' 32-7 win over the Atlanta Falcons on Saturday night.
Manziel, Hoyer ready to face Redskins on Monday
- Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel says he's not feeling any extra pressure as he prepares for Monday night's exhibition game at Washington.
O'Brien Impressed by Texans Rookies
- Texans coach Bill O'Brien is in no hurry to rush his starters back for preseason games. That's giving rookies ample time to impress and many did Saturday night in a 32-7 victory over Atlanta.
Romo back, Ravens top Cowboys 37-30 in preseason
- Deonte Thompson returned a kickoff 108 yards for a score after Dallas' Tony Romo threw a touchdown pass in his first game since back surgery last season, and Joe Flacco led three scoring drives in Baltimore's 37-30 preseason victory over the Cowboys on Saturday night.
More National Sports Headlines