National Sports Headlines
Newton Returns To Panthers Practice
Posted: 3:26 PM
- Just eight days after being involved in a vehicular accident, Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was back at practice today. He took part in all of the team drills and did some throwing.
Former Browns QB Kosar Rips Cleveland Front Office For Starting Manziel
- Bernie Kosar, the Browns' best quarterback in the past 30 years, says the team's front office lacks vision and switching to rookie Johnny Manziel "is a recipe for disaster."
Mavs rout Knicks in Chandler's return to MSG
- Tyson Chandler had three dunks during Dallas' sizzling start to his return to New York, and Dirk Nowitzki scored 16 points to help the Mavericks beat the Knicks 107-87 on Tuesday night.
Houston hires Ohio State's Herman to be head coach
- A person familiar with the situation tells The Associated Press that Houston is negotiating with Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman to be its new head coach.
Texans scramble for QB for Ravens game
- The Texans are scrambling for a quarterback. Coach Bill O'Brien confirmed Monday that Ryan Fitzpatrick suffered a broken leg in Sunday's loss to the Colts and will miss the rest of the season. He also said backup Tom Savage suffered an undisclosed injury of his own and will miss at least this Sunday's game against Baltimore.
Browns' Manziel Humbled by Horrid Debut
- Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel says his disastrous debut as a starter against Cincinnati was "very humbling."
Cowboys DeMarco Murray Has Broken Hand, Needs Surgery
- Vice President Stephen Jones says it is "probably a tough expectation" that he would play Sunday against Indianapolis.
Astros Agree to terms with Jed Lowrie
- The Houston Astros have agreed to terms on a three-year contract with free agent shortstop/infielder Jed Lowrie, General Manager Jeff Luhnow announced today. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Bryant has 3 TD catches, Cowboys beat Eagles 38-27
- Dez Bryant caught a career-best three touchdown catches from Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys rallied to beat the Philadelphia Eagles 38-27 on Sunday night after wasting a 21-0 lead.
Spurs bounce back for 99-91 win over Nuggets
- Kawhi Leonard scored 18 points and the San Antonio beat the banged-up Denver Nuggets 99-91 on Sunday night.
Bengals rough up Manziel, Browns in 30-0 blowout
- Johnny Manziel spent his first NFL start being chased and taunted by Cincinnati defenders as the Bengals rudely welcomed the hyped rookie quarterback to the league with a 30-0 demolition of the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.
Colts clinch AFC South with 17-10 win over Texans
- Andrew Luck threw two touchdown passes and the Colts won their second straight AFC South title by holding off the Houston Texans 17-10 Sunday.
Oregon QB Marcus Mariota wins Heisman Trophy
- Marcus Mariota has won the Heisman Trophy, becoming the first Oregon player to earn college football's top individual honor.
Kobe, Lakers beat Spurs in OT on Young's 3
- Kobe Bryant didn't catch Michael Jordan, though he got a victory thanks to Nick Young.
Young scored 29 points, including a go-ahead 3-pointer with 7.4 seconds left in overtime, Bryant had 22 points and the Los Angeles Lakers overcame a shaky ending to beat the San Antonio Spurs 112-110 on Friday night.
Auburn hires Muschamp as defensive coordinator
- Auburn hired former Florida coach Will Muschamp as defensive coordinator Friday. A person with knowledge of the move said Muschamp will make $1.6 million a year, making him one of college football's highest paid assistants. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the school didn't release terms of the deal.
More National Sports Headlines