National Sports Headlines
McCarthy, Yankees avoid sweep, beat Astros
- Brandon McCarthy pitched a four-hitter and the New York Yankees avoided a three-game sweep, beating the Houston Astros 3-0 Thursday.
Adams, Carter Begin WNBA Playoff Campaigns
- Two former Texas A&M women’s basketball standouts begin WNBA Playoff campaigns on Thursday night, as Sydney Carter and the Indiana Fever take on Washington, and Danielle Adams and the San Antonio Stars face Minnesota.
Giants win first successful protest in 28 years
- The San Francisco Giants became the first team since 1986 to win a protest filed with Major League Baseball, and will now get to resume a rain-shortened game the Chicago Cubs thought they had won. The game will resume Thursday at Wrigley with the Cubs leading 2-0 in the bottom of the fifth inning.
Feldman pitches Astros past slumping Yankees 5-2
- Scott Feldman shut down the slumping New York Yankees again, and Robbie Grossman snapped a seventh-inning tie with a two-run single that sent the Houston Astros to a 5-2 victory Wednesday night.
Texans-Broncos Practice Features Chippy Moments
- Denver Broncos right tackle Chris Clark took exception when J.J. Watt pushed him around in a 1-on-1 pass-rushing drill and kept right on motoring toward the imaginary quarterback.
Jim Kelly's Follow-Up Exam Shows No Sign of Cancer
- Jim Kelly shows no evidence of sinus cancer three months after the Buffalo Bills Hall of Fame quarterback completed radiation and chemotherapy treatments.
Martinez, Rangers top Marlins, 5-4
- Nick Martinez enjoyed his homecoming. And, after an anxious ninth inning, his friends and family got to celebrate a win.
Tony Stewart Skips 3rd Race After Ward's Death
- Tony Stewart will not race Saturday night at Bristol Motor Speedway in Tennessee, the third Sprint Cup race he's skipped since his car struck and killed Kevin Ward Jr. during a sprint car race.
Krajicek Advance at US Open Qualifying
- Former Texas A&M men’s tennis All-American Austin Krajicek advanced in US Open Qualifying Wednesday afternoon against 13th seeded Norbert Gombos, of Slovakia, held at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, New York.
Johnny Manziel: 'I'm the backup quarterback'
- Johnny Manziel hopes the hype around him calms down.
Carter hits 3-run HR in 9th, Astros top Yanks 7-4
- Chris Carter snapped a ninth-inning tie with a colossal three-run homer, extending his second-half power surge and sending the Houston Astros to a 7-4 victory over the New York Yankees on Tuesday night.
Chicago beats Pearland, Texas, 6-1 in LLWS
- Joshua Houston struck out five in five innings, and Chicago's Jackie Robinson West beat Pearland, Texas, 6-1, in an elimination game in the Little League World Series on Tuesday night.
Browns not ready to name starting quarterback
- Browns coach Mike Pettine has not picked his starting quarterback. Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel haven't convinced him they deserve the job.
Peyton Manning: 'Our offense stunk today' in practice vs Texans
- Peyton Manning was disgusted with the Denver Broncos offense after the first of three practices with the Houston Texans.
Manziel Struggles in Browns' Loss to Redskins
- Johnny Manziel struggled to hit open receivers and added another gesture to his repertoire - a middle finger apparently aimed at the opponents' bench - in the Cleveland Browns' 24-23 loss to the Washington Redskins on Monday night.
More National Sports Headlines